It’s time for a technology cleanse

How a break can benefit you

Technology has become such a normal part of teenage life, so much so that free time at school almost always includes some people pulling out phones. What if social media was never invented? Some people are choosing to take a technology cleanse to experience a certain amount of time as if social media never existed. This can be especially useful when negative energy is spread through social media. Don’t let social media bring you down, shut it down.

With the recent election, social media has been booming with test posts, memes, and other political drama. Senior, Cate Byrne, says “While citizens should remain involved and aware of the state of the country, the election caused an uproar of negativity, especially online.” It may be time to close out of the social media apps and begin to get along after the much divided presidential campaign.Byrne also stated, “A technology cleanse could help mend the harsh divide in our country currently and could help stop people from worrying so much about the future.” Although it may seem like the best option at the time is to defend yourself on social media about political views, it may be making things harder. Many adults have recently been talking about how they got “bullied” for voicing their opinions on social media. Unfortunately, some people will be offended and will reply with their opinions. Let’s put an end to the political arguments with our social media “friends.” Logging off of social media helps to take the drama off of the mind and keep things positive with others.

The election isn’t the only thing on social media to shy away from. There is also a lot of stress to avoid by staying logged off. Lexi Horaney, freshman, agrees by saying “Teenagers stress everyday over social media–how they look and how many likes they get–it all adds too much unnecessary stress.” Sure, social media can be a means of news, but there are other ways to receive news updates–such as the Spartan Shield online, of course. Social media adds unneeded stress to a person’s life.

Taking a technology cleanse can help one engage with others and other activities they may enjoy more than just staring at a screen. Although it may be difficult to put social media aside, it can aid in doing many things: homework may get done faster, there will be more time for hobbies outside of school, and relationships with others may improve. It might just be worth a try. Plus, even just eliminating some sources of technology can be a step in the right direction.

The ultimate goal is to be happy. Social media may be keeping you down or away from accomplishing your true dreams. It can be beneficial to challenge yourself to take some time away from social media. You may never know your full potential until you look up at the world from behind your screen.

$580
$1000