Maybe the University of Phoenix was onto something

Will Rolfstad
Senior Will Rolfstad completes his classwork from the comfort of his own home.

The predicament of the world right now is an interesting one for everyone, but for students, the situation is almost eerie in its genie-esque irony. 

For ages, cautionary tales, and light-hearted cartoons like The Fairly Odd Parents have reminded kids of just how important it is to be content with what they already have. “Be careful what you wish for” has become the trademark slogan of such media. For equally as long, students have complained about school and all of the complications it entails — homework, disputes, stress, and a lacking sleep schedule. 

Now, students are living out their very own version of a rubbed lamp gone wrong. To many, this is a nightmare; to others, it is a dream come true. While online school may not be ideal, there are some aspects of this type of schooling that make it not only bearable but even comparable to traditional school. 

The most obvious perk of online school is the inevitable freedom that follows. Most teachers at Pleasant Valley are extremely conscious of the variability inherent in this new system and thus are assigning classwork and notes at the beginning of each week, expecting their completion by the end of the week. 

Humanities and AP English teacher Lynne Lundberg understands the challenges that online school brings. “Online school is going well partly because all my students were already on Google Classroom. But I am missing the best part of teaching: interacting with my students. Those students who have appeared on my screen for ‘office hours’ are a blessing. I am not a fan of looking at a screen for so much time (my eyes hurt) and sitting for long stretches isn’t my normal style.” Recognizing the duality of online school, she admits, “However, I enjoy taking breaks for walks and gardening and just watching the wild cats run around the house.”

This allows eager students to get ahead on their work and redirect their focus elsewhere while less zealous students can spend the time they need to work at their own pace. Night owls and early birds win in this scenario, as opposed to the strict schedule of a traditional school day. 

Additionally, this newfound free time — something which much of this country is unfamiliar with, given its productivity-driven culture — is the perfect opportunity to reinstill hobbies. Now that online school has enabled people to concentrate on the most essential parts of the curriculum, students can spend their time returning to what they love.

Senior Will Rolfstad is appreciating his newfound free time. “My free time is spent playing Minecraft, playing the piano, running, and planning trips for the minute the quarantine breaks,” he stated optimistically. 

One of the biggest drawbacks of online schooling is the lack of interaction with one’s peers and teachers. However, time away from school does not necessarily mean that relationships need to end. Due to technological and societal advancements, there are limitless options to stay connected with friends and teachers. Social media, email, texting, calling, and the dozens of video-chatting applications available make it possible to enrich lives socially. 

Junior Ingrid Hofmann has gotten creative with staying connected with her friends while quarantined. “Since I can’t be with my friends in person, we Snapchat a lot more and I FaceTime with them pretty frequently. I also met my friend’s puppy in a socially distant manner,” she explained.

Online schooling may not be everyone’s idea of a fun time, but it is certainly the best alternative for fostering a community of learning and support. Although circumstances are unprecedented and the world seems to be greeted with more grief each day, it is essential that the Pleasant Valley district remains optimistic and continues to keep in mind what is truly important: the safety of our community and society.