How spring events might get moved to the summer

Brooke Goy
Every year approximately 58% of all highschool seniors feel pressured to attend prestigious universities.

The extensive cancellations due to coronavirus are well known, as they are happening in  workplaces, clubs, and extracurriculars. At PV, no final decision has been made on the large events meant to take place at the end of year, but the remainder of the school year has recently been cancelled. The PTA has been doing some brainstorming on prom and graduation.

Governor Kim Reynolds held a press conference on April 16, not releasing any new information about the attendance of school. According to WQUAD8 news, she upholds her ban on those who don’t live together from gathering until April 30. On April 17, she announced the final decision to close all Iowa schools, preventing PVHS and the rest of the district from closing out the 2020 school year.

The original plan entailed that if students returned to school on May 1, prom would remain at its original date of May 2, and graduation on May 31. But, with the recent decision to close out the rest of the year, those dates will not work.

The Pleasant Valley High School PTA Facebook page posted on Mon, April 14 about the upcoming schedule of events. The post mentions Reynolds’ address, and then goes on to discuss plans if school does not return, which is the case. “Most likely we will try to hold a prom in July, no cost for tickets, and probably at the high school, although if we can get it at the Rivercenter, we will.” 

“Also, alternate plans for commencement are in the works should that become necessary,” the post continued.

PTA member Julie Theilen explains the thought process of the group on the events. “The purpose of trying to move them [prom and graduation] to the summer is to give the seniors what they deserve, as those are some of the most important times in a young adult’s life. Having that taken away from them is sad,” she stated.

While the school is aware of the benefits of moving prom and graduation to the summer, they also know the possible challenges. Once seniors graduate, many enter jobs, go on trips, or continue their college hunt. Picking the perfect date for every student to attend is impossible.

Theilen continues on this matter. “As for attendance at prom, although it would be no cost to go and more than likely held at the school, I think attendance would suffer. My goal, if this is the route the school would choose to do, would be to try and find a way to make it fun for everyone to come,” she explained.

With all the chaos occurring in the community, one thing has remained strong: the tenacity of the senior class. From an uplifting Instagram page honoring accomplishments of many students, to supportive posts across social media, the PV district is reminded that we are in this together.