Careful what you wish for: COVID-19 is changing views on the things we once took for granted

COVID-19 is causing many places to shut down.
Pixabay

The Coronavirus is affecting people everywhere. After almost 50 days in quarantine, it’s safe to say that many are missing those simple social interactions that happened daily. 

Whether it was going inside to get a cup of coffee, going to Whitey’s with family and even going to school to see friends, those small moments that were overlooked by a lot of people are starting to seem like a luxury and many are eager to have those moments back. 

Since the announcement of the district closing for the remainder of the year, many students that once wished there wouldn’t be school want those couple days back. Senior Bell Luebken is one of many that confessed to missing school. “I definitely miss seeing all my friends everyday,” Luebken said.

Athletes that go to Pleasant Valley are wishing for another tough practice. Students want to see their favorite teacher in person, not through a screen. People are now feeling the losses of many small things they once took for granted.

Senior Angelo Williams was also devastated when school closed for the remainder of the year. “Not knowing that I had my last day of school in March is tough,” Williams explained. “I treated it like any other day leaving school not thinking that would be my last time in Pleasant Valley as a student.”

Before quarantine, there were many things not thought of as a need until they became unavailable. Small things like going to get a haircut, or getting a manicure and going shopping at the mall are not possible during the pandemic. 

Typical daily routines have been disrupted completely during quarantine. Now, leaving the house must be for a necessity only, and even when people go out social distancing rules are in place. It took a devastating virus for people to realize the things they took for granted. 

When the world finally moves past this pandemic, hopefully everyone will feel different about sitting in their favorite restaurant. The impact of COVID-19 on everyday lives has been so extensive that things will never be the same. This time is changing people in many different ways. Hopefully the world will start practicing ‘being in the moment’ or ‘savoring’ that moment. That would be a positive change for everyone.