How students can make their money last in the QC

Students are notorious for having a lack of spending money due to the difficulty of trying to balance school and a job. If you’re the type of person who seems to lose spending money the second you get it, the easiest way to make your money last is to take advantage of some convenient local deals–and all they take is a text message or a student ID.

The first money saver is called JumpOnIt – QC; it is a texting service that sends coupons right to your phone. It’s a very easy way for busy students to use coupons on the go. “It helps a lot with not having to print [the coupons] out,” Karleigh Nading, freshman, commented on the convenience of using JumpOnIt.

The JumpOnIt service sends pictures of local offers via text to your phone number two to three times per week. There are two ways to sign up. The first is to have a friend who already uses JumpOnIt – QC share a deal with you. By doing so, your friend will unlock extra offers. If you don’t know anyone who uses JumpOnIt, you can still get it by texting “JumpOnQC” to 88678.

Going to the movies is a very popular choice for students looking for something to do, but not enough PV students take advantage of the easiest movie discount of all. If you show the cashier your school ID, they’ll knock a couple dollars off your ticket. The ticket savings can be used to help balance out the crazy cost of your popcorn and drink.

Many upperclassmen at Pleasant Valley High School are enrolled in classes through Scott Community College. Though a lot of these classes are taught right here at our high school, if you are taking any number of these classes, you are a still considered student at Scott. This means you are eligible for a free Scott student ID. The ID’s can be obtained by going to the Scott Community College library and providing some form of identification, as well as proof that you are taking a Scott class.

Is it worth getting a Scott ID? Scott has partnered with numerous local businesses (33, to be exact) in order to give its students a wide variety of helpful discounts. Some of the offers include 20% off at Bayside Tan, 15% off at Governor’s, 15% off or a free cheese bread with a purchase of at least $20 at Marco’s Pizza, 10% off at Peachwave, 25% off at Smooth Cool Treats, and several other savings on chiropractic, fitness, entertainment, and auto services. Log onto EICC Connect for a complete list.

Kaitlyn Evans is a senior at PV who is taking multiple Scott classes. “I think [student discounts are] a good thing because students should be rewarded for staying in their hometown for part of their college career,” Evans commented on the valuable Scott student ID savings. “The more businesses offer these deals, the more encouragement it will create towards community colleges.”

Businesses can also benefit from offering deals to local students. The amount of extra traffic the discounts bring usually outweighs any money they lose from lowering their prices. Be part of this win-win situation by basing your purchases on which businesses offer the best deals, and get the most out of your money in turn.