Staying in Shape During the COVID-19 Pandemic

The quarantine brought on by COVID-19 has caused many individuals to become severely out of shape. Exercising is beneficial to one’s mental and physical well-being. So how does one safely stay in shape during the middle of a pandemic?

This article will present 7 affordable ways to safely stay in shape during the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

There are numerous health benefits, both mental and physical, to possessing good cardiovascular heath. Here are a couple free ways to build and improve your cardiovascular endurance. 

1. Cardio through running: Individuals can run while following the CDC Guidelines of social distancing. Select a serene nature trail that is not crowded by people to get a safe and relaxing workout. 
  2. Cardio through stair sprints: Select a flight of stairs. Run up and down these stairs and repeat. Do this multiple times depending on your current fitness level (Fifteen times as a base). This will not only help improve your cardiovascular strength but will also help strengthen your glute, quad, and calf muscles. 

A stronger core has many benefits: Two of these examples being that it improves one’s balance and stability. Core is easily done at home. Listed in the ensuing are exercises to help build core strength.   

1. Russian twist with cans: Grab a 46 oz can. Grab the can in both hands. Sit on a flat surface and bring your legs out straight. Lean back so your upper-body and legs form a V shape. Staying in this position, twist your upper-body from side to side while keeping your legs still. Russian twists work the entirety of your core.
  2. Planks: Place your hands on the floor with your palms flat and facing downwards. Your hands should be shoulder-width apart. Then extend your legs behind you. Hold this position for 60 seconds. Repeat 3 times. This exercise will work your deltoids, latissimus dorsi, glutes, and core.

Strength training has a multitude of potential heath perks including stronger bones and increased flexibility. The following are ways you can affordably strength train at home. 

1.  Curls with cans: Grab two 46 oz cans. When doing curls, start with your arms by your sides, and          slowly raise each arm. When doing so be sure to keep your back straight. Do 15 repetitions of curls. Take a brief break to cool down and rehydrate. Do an additional 15 repetitions of this. The continuation of this exercise will strengthen your upper arm and also the muscles of your lower arm. 
  2. Overhead extensions with cans: Grab a single 46 oz can. Sit with your back straight. Hold a single can with both of your hands. Lift it above your head. Bend your elbows so that the can goes behind your head. Then gradually raise the can back to its starting point and repeat 15 times. Do two sets of this. 
  3. Squat jumps:  Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart. Slowly bend your legs until your thighs and the ground are parallel with one another. Then jump and repeat. Do 2 sets of 20 repetitions.