PV bowling rolls into a new season

Bowling at PV is officially under way. The team is looking strong this year with Scott Henrichs returning this year as the reigning MAC Bowler of the Year. Last year, the bowling team finished the season by sending Dalton Massengale to state, who finished in tenth place, bowling a 416.

Henrichs stated that the ultimate goal for the bowling team this year is to make it to state again. As for himself, he has high goals this year, saying his goal this year is, “to have one or more perfect games during the season.”

Bowling is undeniably an under-appreciated sport in the school, overlooking most of the skill that is required to compete at a high level, and instead seeing it more as a family activity. Alton Barber, a sophomore on the team, said the main difference between bowling and any other sport in the school is the lack of understanding about the sport. “The difference between bowling and other sports at PV is that a lot of people don’t understand that bowling is more than just throwing a ball down the line,” Barber stated. “It requires a lot of hard work and skill to be able to bowl at the level that our team does.”

The bowling team is also unlike any sport in the school being a co-ed team. The bowling team practices twice a week at Thirty Lanes in Davenport. Henrichs explained that during practice, they will either bowl three games or practice certain spares. The team’s first meet is on Nov. 28 at the Big River bowling alley in Davenport against North Scott, so let’s get out there and cheer on the Spartan bowlers as they begin their season.