Tech Overload: How PV students are dealing with online learning

Jonathan Glaum, Multimedia Manager

The COVID-19 pandemic has made technology a necessity for Pleasant Valley High School’s students and faculty. It has provided the means to communicate, accomplish schoolwork from remote locations and has minimized the amount of shared materials in classrooms.

However, there are also disadvantages to relying on technology. There is a wide variety of devices being used by students and teachers-some of which are not compatible with one another.

This year, PVHS checked out Lenovo Chromebooks to every student to complete their work at home. Many students have since said these devices do not possess the ability to run the apps teachers require.

Matt Stutenberg, an engineering teacher at PVHS, shared the engineering department’s experience with utilizing school-provided chromebooks in classes.

So, it presents us with a not great, but could be worse, situation,” Stutenberg said. “All the Autodesk software we use is free to download, which has allowed students to utilize the software from home if they have a computer capable of running the software.

Chromebooks aside, some students are also required to own devices along with the school provided devices. In web designing and advertising classes, for example, students are required to use Adobe software, which is not available for Chromebooks. However, PVHS is working with students who need an extra device to provide for those individuals.

Ahmed Baig, a senior at PVHS, talked about how he has adapted to the schedule this semester and his thoughts on the hybrid model.“I think online learning is a lot easier this year because I had a whole quarter of practice last year and the teachers are also helping structure online learning as well so that makes it easier because I have some guidance on what I am expected to do each day,” Baig said.

Online learning, whether hybrid or 100% online, has also given students an unprecedented level of independence, which some believe to be too much. On the other hand, some students prefer taking their education into their own hands. 

Senior Spencer Weyrick talked about how he feels regarding partial online learning.“I feel like I was more worn or stressed out with 100% in person, but I definitely feel, at least for me, that it provided a better learning experience,” Weyrick stated. 

He went on to talk about his daily life in the reality of hybrid learning.“With hybrid learning, it’s nice to be able to choose when you do your schoolwork, but it leaves a lot of time for procrastination. As to how I’m dealing with it, my friends have very similar classes to me, so after checking what needs to be done, I make sure I don’t miss anything by asking them what they saw and did,” Weyrick said.

There is no doubt that PV has made their best attempts to make at least some form of technology available to every student in order to make hybrid learning more manageable, but it does not come without complications.