7 tips to help successfully navigate online learning

+Remote+learning+can+be+challenging%2C+but+there+are+plenty+of+ways+to+make+the+most+of+it+and+to+be+successful.
Grace Pender
Remote learning can be challenging, but there are plenty of ways to make the most of it and to be successful.

The unstructured nature of online learning is a challenge for most. Students sometimes fail to complete assignments or underperform on tests, succumbing to lack of motivation. It is important to remember that, like any other year, grades count. Here are some tips to help you learn online successfully.

1. Make lists 

Type up a list of the homework that must be completed. Put highest priority things at the top and lowest at the bottom. Print it out, and when an assignment is completed, cross it off the list. 

2. Keep a planner

Online learning is highly independent – making it sometimes difficult to remember and manage every course on your own. Buy a planner to write down what needs to be done and when things are due. 

3. Treat online days like you would normal school days 

Wake up at the time you normally would for school. Check your classes’ weekly schedules in the order you would have class. Doing so will give you some of the structure that online schooling lacks.

4. Designate an area solely for schoolwork

Find an area virtually free of distractions and set up shop, filling it with your essentials: Sharpened pencils, erasers, notebook paper, etc. This will add some additional structure to your remote learning experience. 

5. Go to teachers’ office hours

If you do not understand a concept or have something you wish to discuss something with them, go to your teachers’ virtual office hours. 

6. Avoid procrastinating

Procrastinating will only result in unnecessary added stress. To the best of your ability, avoid waiting until the last minute and complete your assignments in a timely manner. 

7. Do your OWN work

Cheating will only hurt you in the long run. Even if it seems easier to, avoid copying other students’ work, using notes, your book or the internet on assignments and tests that are not open-note.