Bowling: the forgotten sport

Ethan Stigler
Here’s what is necessary to bowl!

Bowling is a sport everyone can join. The only equipment needed to partake in the sport is a bowling ball and shoes. Bowling is not the headline sport of PV and many forget that it exists. So why do so few  people bowl? 

Senior Seth Good, a bowler, granted insight into the matter.“I think people don’t bowl because they do not want to pay for gear like a new ball and shoes,” Good elucidated.“Bowling is appealing because it gives me something to do over the winter and it is a fun environment to be in with friends.” Although bowling gear is costly, Good has a profusion of fun playing the sport.

Senior Raegan Stein, who is also a bowler at PVHS, shared her thoughts on the sport. “I think the reason more people don’t bowl is because it gets a bad reputation. Other athletes tell me bowling is not a sport, but honestly it is the hardest sport I have ever played. It takes a lot of time and effort to improve,” Stein stated. 

There are many different reasons people enjoy the sport. “Bowling appeals to me because it’s very competitive and a mental sport. Anyone can bowl, but it takes muscle memory to get better. I love the environment and all my teammates who help me at practice and the meets,”Stein explained.  

Mr. Marotta is a coach and is very helpful for new bowlers. He is very helpful and can give people information if they want it.

Additionally, bowling is a way to meet new people. “I have made a lot of friends through bowling and even my girlfriend which is really cool,” Good said. As exemplified through Good’s experience, bowling, like many sports, is a social activity.

Stein elaborated on the social aspect of bowling. “It is not that I met new people at bowling, but it is strengthening bonds with people that I knew beforehand … it is a fun way for us to hang out after school,”Stein explained. In Stein’s experience, bowling is a great way to strengthen existing friendships.

Bowling is a great way to meet new people and create good relationships. The bowling team is very friendly and loves new people. The bowling coaching staff is very friendly and helpful. This makes it easy to improve once you start.

Bowling veterans, Good and Stein, have tips for aspiring bowlers.

Good granted his advice first. “I recommend new bowlers just to have fun and to not get caught up on your worse games,” Good recommended. Bowling, like any sport, takes practice.   

Stein suggested bowlers splurge on equipment. “I recommend definitely getting your own ball and shoes before the season starts– and do not go cheap. My equipment costs about $200 and I will be using it all three years I have bowled,” Stein explained.Quality is important when it comes to bowling equipment as it can hold bowlers back from reaching their full potential.

Bowling is a very forgotten sport Stein added this “I didn’t know our school had a team till sophomore year” bowling rarely ever is in the spotlight so no students really know about the sport.

Although bowling is  far from the most popular sport, everyone who has joined the team has had an enjoyable experience.