Fracking: why should I care?

Jwigley via Pixabay
Fracking is a process that generates valuable revenue for the economy and although environmentally harmful, creates millions of American jobs in the US.

Democrat Joe Biden’s recent victory in the 2020 presidential election has prompted many to wonder about the potential reform that will take place in the United States during the next four years.

One of the possible reforms President-elect Biden discussed in his campaign is whether he will allow fracking to continue in the United States.

Fracking, or hydraulic fracturing, is the process of injecting liquid at a high pressure into subterranean rocks, boreholes, etc. to force open existing fissures and extract oil or gas.

This is a controversial process in the political world. Democrats generally support a ban being placed on fracking to better protect the environment, while Republicans tend to be against banning the process because of the potentially devastating effects it would have on the oil/gas industry and the economy.

In the 2020 Democratic primary, Biden replied to a question asking if the Biden administration would allow fracking: “No, we would…we would work it out. We would make sure it is eliminated and no more subsidies for either one of those…” However, in the last presidential debate before the election, Biden claims he “never said he opposed fracking”.

These comments led to clarification being made by President-elect Biden.  He wrote a new plan stating that he would “ban new oil and gas permitted on public lands and waters.” This plan would end some fracking, but not all.

Skya Lau, the chairman of the Scott County Teenage Republicans, discussed her stance on fracking. “I don’t think a total fracking ban would be beneficial. A complete stop would again shift America’s reliance on foreign oil and prices would increase dramatically. Although a shift to more renewable energies needs to happen, it does need to be a shift, not starting with a complete fracking ban,” Lau explained.

The Republican party’s current stance on fracking is that they would like to see a shift to renewable energy over time, however, in the near future continue to allow fracking to prevent an economic disaster.

PV senior, Democrat Julia Leach discussed her thoughts on the controversy of fracking.“Many Democrats have different beliefs on it, but I believe it should be banned to help climate change,” Leach said.

Both sides agree there will inevitably be changes in policy during this next presidential term. All that is left is to wait and see what new reforms and policies will be established and enacted.