Quarantine round two?

The+most+important+thing+during+this+time+is+keep+one+another+safe.+The+decrease+and+spike+in+cases+is+a+direct+result+of+how+we+all+choose+to+handle+it.+
Kyle Ryan via Unsplash
The most important thing during this time is keep one another safe. The decrease and spike in cases is a direct result of how we all choose to handle it.

On July 30, 2020, Governor Kim Reynolds implemented a rule that when a county got over 15 percent of positive COVID-19 cases, the school districts could submit a request to shut down for two weeks.

Davenport, North Scott and Bettendorf schools have transitioned to online due to a rise in COVID-19 cases. The Pleasant Valley Community School district still sits on their decision– they can go online quickly if necessary, but currently have not released any notice of doing so.

PV’s plan at the beginning of the school year required every student to cover their face when within 6 feet created a safe environment at school. However, due to lax regulations such as consumers not following mask rules outside of school, PV will have to become stricter.

There is speculation among many PV may be implementing an online method after the winter break. The decision to go online is clearly a very troubling one for the PV administration to make, as they want their students to be present and involved.

If the administration were to apply to go fully online, classes would be different for both hybrid and online students. Students would have to attend live streams with their teachers every day from 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. with their camera and microphone on. Having the camera on is an invasion of privacy, and having the microphone on is beyond unnecessary.

Students should not have to worry about what the background of their Google Meet call looks like. Many people may see what the administrators are trying to do with these umplitary requirements, but consider that there are other people living in the house and students may not have a quiet place to themself where they can go.

PV is also committed to excellence, but are the PV students really pushing to excel? No method during these times would be perfect and it is time to acknowledge the fact students are disengaged.

Additionally, with the online version during another quarantine, there may be a possibility of more failing grades. Any method of learning this year is a taxing idea– whether it is online, hybrid or fully in-person.

Luckily, many students who attend PV go with the flow. Senior and National Merit Scholarship Finalist Kalen Bunch is one of those students. “I wouldn’t be too fond of the lack of face-to-face learning, but I would understand if the school would have to shut down,” he stated. Like many students at PV, Bunch is extremely hard-working and very intelligent. He understands that not every choice is going to be great.

Although shutting down schools may seem like a good idea, districts are not the only ones responsible for increasing cases of the virus. If PV does shut down their locations it is up to everyone– students, teachers and the rest of the community– to do their part in staying safe and away from others. The lack of discipline in the community has been causing a higher spike in cases; if it continues, it will leave schools in a worse position after the two weeks.

Senior Ella Howell discussed what she thinks is the real issue, and it does not have to do with school regulations. “Teenagers and kids will still hangout outside of school with each other, as they do now,” she stated. Howell is pointing out students will be hanging out because they are not actively in the school building.

When changes like these need to be made, there will always be people who are unsatisfied with the direction PV will implement. No matter the changes or lack thereof to come after break, the one thing that must prevail is keeping one another safe. Take precautions of where you are, who you are around and always remember to wear a mask.