A helping hand: Schools give back despite cancelled Student Hunger Drive

Sid Sharma
Members of Spartan Assembly showing the food they collected during Halloween from trick or treating for cans.

For many years, the Student Hunger Drive at PV has been an opportunity for the district to come together for students and staff to donate non-perishable food and monetary donations to the River Bend Foodbank. 

With the onset of COVID-19, the River Bend Foodbank cancelled the student hunger drive for the safety of the students who dedicate their time to raise donations. Despite this cancellation, many schools, such as PV, have found alternate ways to give back.  

For example, members of Spartan Assembly went to doors trick-or-treating on Halloween for cans and money. They also assembled Thanksgiving feast baskets for PV families in need.. 

Senior Sid Sharma, a Spartan Assembly representative, is proud of the council for continuing to give back.“I thought it was a great idea to carry out these things safely, because we help the food bank so much every year, so we definitely needed to do this,” he shared.

Executive member Allisa Pandit shared that Spartan Assembly also has plans for a mini school competition later this year in order to help raise more donations. “We have a plan to do something in February next year to increase the food in the pantry so there is more storage,” she said. “It will definitely catch the attention of students and encourage them to participate.”

Other students are also trying their best to donate to the food bank and participate in other community activities. 

Senior Kyle Sehlin has continued to donate directly to the foodbank, since he cannot at school.  “Even though the Student Hunger Drive is not taking place this year, I still try to donate to the local food bank, because it is very important to donate to those in need,” he explained. Students are putting forth their best efforts to maintain the atmosphere of donating, which has an  important impact on  the community. 

PV has had tremendous success with the Student Hunger Drive in the past, and although it has been adapted to meet the unprecedented times, students will still have the opportunity to give back to the foodbank and lend a helping hand to people. 

$480
$1000