Worst Things of 2020

Paigell via Pixabay
2020 was an absolute dumpster fire.

Now that the year has finally passed, people are reflecting on the tough moments of 2020. The many tough moments of 2020.

In fact, many have already called 2020 one of the worst years of all time. With the economy in shambles, politics divided and the pandemic still raging the country, it does not look like 2021 will be any better. Although, that should not stop us from hating last year with all our hearts and leaving the bad energy in 2020. 

This list is far from comprehensive — too many moments in 2020 could make it on this list — and focuses only on the worst of 2020’s moments. There is no hierarchy or specific order, as every moment was a terrible one and they do not need to be compared. 

So without further ado, the worst moments of 2020:

Almost starting World War III!

2020 started off rough when the United States killed Iranian general Qasem Soleimani, leading to Iran vowing to retaliate and they struck US bases. President Trump took this as an opportunity to ratchet up the tensions and the world watched in fear as it looked as though World War III was on the horizon.

At least the internet enjoyed it, making memes about the world’s impending doom that became increasingly popular. For a moment it looked like all out war was inevitable, and then the tensions died and nothing happened. A truly scary moment that amounted to nothing. The first scare of 2020. 

The World Catches on Fire

From California to Australia, wildfires burnt down huge amounts of land and displaced millions of people and animals. The fires turned the sky a dark red that looked like it was straight out of Blade Runner 2049. The damage done to Australia’s koala populations was heartbreaking. One can only hope that this is not a global warming warning. 

Tom Hanks gets COVID

Everyone knew that the world was in danger when beloved movie star Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson, contracted the COVID-19. Until then, the virus had been a foreign health affair in China without much concern to the rest of the world. Everything changed when Tom Hanks was infected and COVID began to spread around the world. 

While Mr. Hanks survived COVID-19, and he is just a footnote in Corona history, the COVID-period in 2020 can be divided into two parts: Pre-Hanks and Post-Hanks. 

The Murder of George Floyd

If there’s one thing that America did not need during a global pandemic it was mass racial unrest. The terrible murder of George Floyd by a police officer was caught on video and sparked unrest across the nation. There were protests and riots in every major city, cities already struggling with the pandemic. While there may be some good change to come from 2020’s Black Lives Matter Movement, everyone can agree it was a difficult, yet necessary and crucial, moment in 2020. 

The Derecho 

Hitting closer to home, the 2020 Derecho tore through Iowa and caused massive damage. Trees in the road, roofs torn off,

and trampolines blown to the next state over. Thousands of homes were left without power for significant periods of time while hundreds of people were displaced. It was a true disaster that lacked response by the federal government.

It also made a mess of my yard that my mom made me clean up, and I did not like that. 

Celebrities Singing Imagine

A video posted at the beginning of the pandemic featured numerous celebrities singing John Legend’s Imagine was definitely one of the worst moments of the year. Celebrities saying that we will all get through the pandemic together while they sing a song from their million dollar mansions had a searing sense of irony that annoyed just about everyone. 

Chadwick Boseman Passes Away

After 2020 had already taken so much from so many people, it decided to steal the King of Wakanda when we all needed him most. Chadwick Boseman, the beloved actor well known for portraying the Black Panther, passed away from colon cancer in August. His passing left millions grieving the loss of a great black icon. 

Kobe Byrant Passes Away

The first major celebrity death of 2020, Kobe Bryant and his daughter passed away in a tragic helicopter accident in January. Bryant, one of the greatest basketball players of all time, was an American hero and a major loss to the sports community. Although, the best way to honor him is to continue shouting “Kobe!” while throwing paper into the trash. 

Donald Trump’s Impeachment Trial

After being impeached by the House of Representatives in December of 2019, Trump’s trial moved to the Senate. The Senate decided on whether or not to convict Trump and remove him from office. Unsurprisingly, the trial fell along party lines and left Trump in office with no consequences. 

Whichever side of the political aisle you are on, it can be agreed that the impeachment trial was a major waste of time. If you’re gonna impeach him you may as well kick him out of office!

The 2020 Election

An event that was so painfully prolonged that its effects are even making 2021 worse, the 2020 Election was a head-to-head fight between two old men attempting to decide what the rest of the country should do before they kick the bucket. Seriously, the debates were like watching two corpses argue over what news channel to watch in the retirement home.

And when everyone thought the election was over and Biden had won, Trump decided that there had been mass voter fraud and that he would fight till the bitter end. This only prolonged the already painful 2020 Election and helped erode democracy even further. In a way, it was the perfect closer to an already terrible year!