Winter Driving Tips

Corea Conner

When one finds them self living in the Midwest, it is important that they know how to drive in snow. It is possible at pretty much any time of the year mother nature decides to pour six inches of snow on us all in one night. Here are some tips for driving in the winter.

• Get good tires

Tires are very important when it comes to snow driving, as it is the only thing connecting your car to the road ahead. If your tires are not good, then whatever else you do to mitigate the snow will not matter.

• Learn how your car reacts in snow

The reaction of cars in the snow is different for every car. Some may understeer (your turn the wheel but the car goes straight) and some cars may oversteer (rear end of the car swings out in a drifting fashion). Knowing how your car reacts is very important.

• Drive smoothly

The smoother you can drive is a good way to increase grip in the snow, this would include slower acceleration times and giving yourself more time to slow down. Making quick jerky movements can make the car more likely to lose traction.

• Look where you want to go

While this may seem obvious, in the event of the car sliding around, always keep your eyes focused on where you want to go, not where you are going. This may seem strange, but you are much more likely to get to where you want to be if you are looking in that direction.

• Try to avoid driving

If you do not go out driving in the snow you are not going to have an accident. So try to avoid driving if possible.