Five books or movies that represent a genre well

Ingrid Hofmann
If you’re having trouble deciding what to read or watch, check out these 10 works separated into your favorite genres!

Mystery

Book: “And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie

I was so terrified reading this book as a little ninth grader, so if you think books are boring then read this and you will be glued to the pages. The suspense is unreal and the plot is unpredictable with only ten people on an island, getting killed off one by one.

Movie: “Knives Out”

This is the best movie in the entire world and if you haven’t seen it then move it to the top of your to-do list. And if you don’t have a to-do list then make one and put “watch Knives Out” at number one.

Action/Adventure

Book: “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” by J.K. Rowling (but really the whole series)

This fantasy series is action-packed with the characters constantly on the run, taking classes at their wizarding school “Hogwarts,” completing deadly tasks and trying to defeat Lord Voldemort, the evilest wizard of them all- although it you don’t know that by now, what are you doing.

Movie: “Ant-Man and the Wasp” (and every Marvel movie, of course)

Action scenes with a shrinking superhero adds the perfect twist. The car chases paired with constant shrinking of the cars makes for very entertaining sequences. And the fact that the villains are funny makes this specific marvel movie all the better.

Romance

Book: “The Scarlet Pimpernel” by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

I like this book even more than “Harry Potter,” which is saying quite a lot. The tale is so suspenseful and original, and the love story is so pure. If you want a captivating story, I highly recommend this sophisticated novel.

Movie: “Titanic”

I do not like romcoms in the slightest, but this movie ties love and action together perfectly and demonstrates the sacrifices and bonds of two people who are truly in love.

Horror

Book: “The Gunslinger” by Stephen King

This book can most certainly be described as confusing at times, yet the story is one of a kind. Every line is poetry of its own, so there is no way you will finish this book unsatisfied.

Movie: “Hush”

Throughout the course of this film a deaf and mute girl lives along in a house in the woods while trying to not be murdered by a serial killer who comes to her door. It is so suspenseful, and for once the main character in this horror movie is not stupid. When you yell at the TV telling her what to do, she will probably do something smarter.

The Arts

Book: “Little Women” by Louisa May Alcott

Featuring four very talented and sweet sisters who are all gifted in the arts, this lighthearted novel tells many different stories throughout their lifetime; through each sister is a firsthand view of the struggles and joys that come with pursuing a career in the arts. 

Movie: “The Greatest Showman”

Filled with so many catchy songs and grand dance numbers, this movie highlights the power of creativity and inspires its audience to work hard for their aspirations. This is a very good movie, I recommend you watch it if you haven’t already.