Showing racial diversity at a young age

As the United States is becoming more modern, it is also becoming more diverse. People of countless different racial backgrounds are now citizens of this country and contribute greatly to the “melting pot” that America has claimed itself as. Although not everyone is welcoming of different racial backgrounds, there has been a noticeable difference in the way children are being taught about different races.

Santa plays a huge role in many children’s lives and teaches them a lot about being kind and generous. Now Santa is also teaching them about different races. For the first time ever, the Mall of America in Minnesota is having an African American Santa Claus. While many are excited about this big step towards racial equality, there are still people who believe Santa should only be white. Social media users have not been shy about posting their opinions. Twitter user, Matthew Desmona, posted, “This is ho-ho-horrible.” However other users are praising the change, like Kim Randolph who tweeted, “Good for the Mall of America! Santa is for every child.”

An African American Santa Claus isn’t the only change that has been made to teach kids about diversity. Barbie dolls have recently been available in different races such as African American and Asian. Years ago, the only Barbie available to kids was a Caucasian doll with blonde hair, blue eyes, and a perfect body. Now, kids have the opportunity to feel more like their doll, instead of dreaming to look just like it. PV Senior, Anna Grace Molinari, says, “I think teaching children this helps them treat others equally and shows that being different isn’t a bad thing.” Other children’s toys like plastic food items are also starting to embrace other cultures. The plastic food  now comes with items from asian, european, and mexican cuisine.

There are hundreds of other children’s toys embracing racial diversity. Many would agree that young children are now receiving more information about different races and cultures. While some might not be happy about it, they can’t stop our constantly developing country and the changes that are being made all over to offer a more well-rounded education.