Boys basketball off to a hot start

Boys basketball off to a hot start

The Pleasant Valley boy’s basketball team is off to a very strong start, starting with an overall record of 2-1 and a MAC record of 1-0. PV was defeated in a very well fought game against Moline 64-58 in overtime, but bounced back and won against Iowa City High 40-27, as well as Davenport North 60-53.

Brian Dayman, a junior on the team, said the team has been playing pretty solid, but they still have room to improve. “I think we’ve played well so far,” Dayman stated. “Having a newer group, it might take a while to figure out how to play with each other.” Trevon Montgomery, a senior on the team, seconded that, saying, “I think we are playing well, but I think that we can still be better than what we are. We had a good road win on Friday against a good team, and now it’s time to build on that. Every game, we are starting to make improvements and we are getting better as we play.”

Even after losing a few key seniors this year, the team has learned how to adjust and still play at the high standard they’ve always played at. Dayman said, “to adjust, we just have different guys step into different roles than they did last year. Even after losing all the seniors, our expectations haven’t changed from our coach or our team.”

The team still has a lot of time to improve and many games to learn from, but for now they’re just looking to see improvements after each game. “We have a lot of newer and younger guys, but the talent level is definitely there,” Dayman said. “Hopefully each game we play we continue to grow as a team and get better.”