National labor shortage and its effect on PV

Josie Olderog
Head custodian Dave Wheeler helps manage a clean cafeteria despite recent short staffing.

While the national unemployment rate continues to rise as it has been for the past couple of years, PV has had to face the effects acutely this school year. From the shortage of substitute teachers, custodians and students with part-time jobs, stress is rising and many are left facing the outcomes

With only three custodians left on staff this year at PV and class sizes larger than ever, keeping the school free of germs has been difficult. This is especially major when bearing in mind COVID-19, as the prevention of spreading germs is still crucial at this time.

The workload of the custodians has also increased as a result of recent vandalism in the school. Teacher Danielle Davenport was one of many to voice her concerns about the issue.

I was really disappointed when I found out our overworked custodians had to clean up vandalism in the bathrooms during the same week our students enjoyed a homecoming carnival, assembly and dance,” she stated. 

The instances of vandalism also raised concerns about maintaining respect for the already short-staffed custodians. “Do students realize that destructive and disrespectful behavior will drive our staff to quit?” Davenport said. “Our custodians are awesome [and] we do not want to lose them!”

Another way that short staffing has affected PV is through the part-time jobs of students. Many are left burnt-out as jobs become more demanding with a smaller group of employees.

Sophomore Justin Clemons, an employee at Subway, expressed his stress on the matter. “Due to our short staff at work, life has been much more stressful,” he stated. “I have been working more often and have had long shifts.”

Short staffing in the workplace has also impeded upon Clemons’ free time. “It is hard to fit in time [with my friends] outside of school and getting homework done has been a struggle,” he added.

This issue goes beyond PV, however. Due to conditions coming from the pandemic, shortages of nurses and other medical professionals are gradually becoming more and more severe. States such as Florida, Oregon, Louisiana and Arkansas have had more COVID-19 cases than ever before. 

There are several causes for nationwide labor shortages. While some may claim that recent unemployment benefits are to blame, there is much more evidence that points to strikes and employees seeking out better working conditions in general. 

Some workers have been fighting for more flexible hours and salaries, while other workers have been reconsidering their type of work overall. 66 percent of those previously in lower-paying jobs have “seriously considered” alternative fields of work according to a Pew Research Center survey. This is often in order to find something more stable in light of the pandemic.

Altogether, these shortages and their effects have become quite enduring in the community and nationally. And while the US adapts and changes as it has been for the past year, hopefully this labor shortage will cause companies to change and adapt as well in order to combat the issue.

$580
$1000