Where there’s a Will, there’s a way

Will Kohn has been through more than most kids his age and this year he didn’t get the normal holiday experience most 6 year olds dream of. This Christmas, Will opened his presents in Iowa City at the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital. He was admitted to the hospital on December 22 to receive a port in his chest that will give him 24/7 medication to aid his weakening heart.

Will was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, which means he was born without a left ventricle. To this day, Will has had four  heart surgeries, his first when he was only 6 days old. In July of 2014, Will was put on the heart transplant list. While Will was in the hospital, he was at the top of the priority list for a heart, and everyone in the community had high hopes for Will and the future of his health. PV teacher and Will’s dad, Christopher Kohn, has a Facebook page that updates the community on Will’s life. He recently posted, “We normally don’t ask for a lot for Christmas but this year will be a bit different.”

The Pleasant Valley Community knows the impact this has had on the Kohn family and does all that they can to help. That is why Pleasant Valley students, teachers, and families donated money to buy Will some awesome Christmas gifts. On Thursday, December 15, PV students were allowed to wear hats all day during school if they made a $2 contribution to Will’s present fund. The school has had multiple fundraisers at restaurants around the Quad Cities to help out the Kohn’s. Kohn says, “The Pleasant Valley Community has been awesome and everyone is so supportive.”

Along with monetary donations, the PVHS Chamber Choir had a special surprise planned for the entire Kohn family. The choir asked Mr. Kohn to join them for a little while during fourth period. During this time, the choir walked to the Kohn’s house and sang many Christmas carols for Will, including one of his favorite’s from his own holiday program at school. Choir member, Hannah Sturtzer, says, “We want to bring him a little bit of Christmas cheer before he has to go to the hospital.”

There is no doubt that Will has been through more than any 6 year old should have to handle. But, the Pleasant Valley Community believes in his strength and courage. Where there’s a Will, there’s a way. Good luck Will!