Growing up together

Many people get together with extended family during the holidays. During these occasions, it can always be counted upon to have limitless food at each meal, an abundance of loud chatter, and no seats left to sit on in the living room. Or, maybe your family is friends with a larger one. The ones who drive huge vehicles, have endless fights over the front seat, and get called all of their siblings’ names before their own by their parents. Some have experienced those things at certain times, but for most, it is not on a day-to-day basis.

Big families are becoming less and less popular nowadays. A study done by Pew Research center showed that 65% of Americans think the costs associated with raising kids are the reason couples aren’t having as many. Personal choice, lack of time, and career concerns all had lower percentages. Other factors that began the shift from big to small households include the creation of the birth control pill, mothers entering the workforce, and children becoming economic liabilities rather than assets.  

That being said, there are still a select few families of larger size. One of them is a PV-attending family: The Hansens. Jennifer Hansen, mother of seven girls, shares, “We didn’t really plan on having a big family, we just got lucky. I wouldn’t say we feel out of place together in public but we do get LOTS of comments like, ‘Are you are Girl Scout troop?’ ‘Do you have a daycare?’ or ‘Are they all yours?’…always followed by, ‘All girls?!’ Also, using more than one shopping cart creates looks too.”

Despite the higher costs and never-ending laundry piles, there are many good things that come with being part of a big family. Michael Meyer, senior and sibling of five, says, “Kids with less siblings miss out on having multiple best friends and relentless support and people who will always have your back.” Yes, siblings tease relentlessly, but they also defend and stand up for one another. Multiple kids can also be great boredom busters, a cleaning service, built-in babysitters, and providers of homework help for when Mom doesn’t know your math problems.

Hansen adds, “Some difficulties of raising my girls are: the wide range of ages and activities,  trying to juggle rides and schedules while meeting everyone’s needs, and yet still having time to enjoy everyone at home. The joys are: snuggles and love, how you’re never lonely, getting to watch them learn and grow, seeing the people they turn into, and how their interests change as they have more life experiences.”

Aspects portraying a not-so-cheery side of things consist of financial stress, and just the stress in general big families often experience. Also, the chaos of the house can lead to missed parent-child connections. But, every family dynamic will always have its good and bad parts.

Meyer names one of his craziest family experiences as being, “Just when me and my four siblings tried to see who was the strongest of us, so one of us was on the ground on all fours, while the other four climbed on top. The competition was to see who could hold the position without collapsing and who could get the most people on. Needless to say I won, but the enjoyment and laughter of that day was unforgettable.”

As the number of large families goes down, it is cool to hear the unique perspectives of their family life. Even though some can’t imagine anyone wanting so many kids, it definitely is a different, and in many ways, valuable upbringing.