Winter break: is it really a break?

Christmas break is a time spent with family and friends. Two weeks to celebrate Christmas day and the New Year is not nearly enough. This year, however, Pleasant Valley was given only nine days off for Christmas break.

Christmas break is normally a time to destress and relax after the first semester of school and finals. This break will be filled with studying and doing homework. Because finals fall after break, this will force students to study and do homework when they should be spending time with their family and close friends.

According to Claire Park, senior, “I am very annoyed that we are only given nine days off this Christmas break. I am also very upset that finals are after break this year because instead of being in the Christmas spirit, I will be stressed out with preparing for my finals.”

Even though this break is a few days shorter than normal, people will still be given time to spend with their families. The major reason why our break is shorter is because Terry Branstad, the Iowa governor, made school start much later than it normally does.

Branstad made school start after the Iowa State fair so those who normally go could still go without missing any school. Many local students don’t go to this fair, so there are a number of them who are upset.

Lexi Neal, junior, stated, “It makes me mad that Christmas break is shortened due to school starting later. Many of the people I know don’t go to the state fair, but go out of town to celebrate Christmas with their families. I believe school should start sooner so we are given a decent amount of time for Christmas break.”

No matter what your plans are for the holidays this year, try your best to spend time with your family and close friends. Even though studying is important, this is a holiday all about giving and being around those you love.