More than Sideline Support: The LSU Tiger Girls win Hip Hop National Championship

Jessica Tan
The 2022 National Hip Hop Championship award makes it’s home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana with the LSU Tiger Girls.

The Louisiana State University (LSU) Tiger Girls delivered a moving performance and took home the Hip Hop National Championship award at the 2022 UDA College Nationals on Jan. 16.

However, the Hip Hop performance was more than just a dance, it was a message towards their administration and a general statement of female empowerment. This time last year, the Tiger Girls were barred from participating in the 2021 UDA College Nationals because of the administration’s supposed COVID-19 concerns. However, the dancers were following the same structured COVID-19 practices as all other LSU athletes still participating in competitions.

The Tiger Girls performed regularly throughout the 2021 LSU football and basketball seasons, so their inability to compete in Nationals came as a shock. Due to the inconsistencies in reasoning, the Tiger Girls and fans began to believe the banning of Nationals participation was attributed to the administration’s opinions and disrespect for dance and cheerleading.

After hearing the news regarding 2021 Nationals participation, former LSU Tiger Girl, Olivia Hamilton reflected upon her experience as a dancer. “Cheer and dance have been severely undervalued, so we feel that we want to push for what’s right, and we want to push for equality for everyone,” she told BR Proud.

Therefore, when allowed to compete in the 2022 Championship, the Tiger Girls were eager to present a meaningful message through their Hip Hop routine. The dancers performed to Ciara’s “Like a Boy” and wore traditionally male costumes which included baggy white pants, bandanas and black hats. The routine, choreographed by Carsen Rowe and Sammy McFadden, not only provided a powerful statement but was a perfect integration of classic and modern Hip Hop moves that were visually stunning.

While watching the routine, audiences quickly recognized the meaning behind the Tiger Girls’ song choice and costume design. The dance team was shedding light upon the lack of respect their team was given the previous season in comparison to any predominantly male LSU sports team.

The Tiger Girls’ success was not only a victory for Louisiana, but for all competitive dancers who have faced adversities due to gender stereotypes. Multiple college dance teams who attended the 2022 UDA College Nationals, such as the Ohio State dance team and the Alabama dance team, have shown immense support for the Tiger Girls and their statement through social media.

The popularity of the routine has spread beyond just college dancers and has reached thousands of dancers across the country who were inspired by the authenticity of the Tiger Girls. The creative Hip Hop routine has gained viral status on TikTok and thousands of recreations are featured on the app.

Included in the dancers providing support for the Tiger Girls, is PV Platinum dancer, Sophomore Emma Miller. “I support them because men and women’s sports should be equal and everyone should have a fair shot,” she said. The stereotypes faced by competitive dancers extend beyond college sports and into the world of high school athletics.

PV Platinum is provided the opportunity to attend an annual state competition, but Miller expressed the lack of support for PV dance. “Platinum goes to state, but no one knows about it or goes to it,” she explained. High school dance members relate the complaints of the LSU Tiger Girls regarding inconsistency in support and respect for deserving dancers.

Continually, PV dancers have observed what they see to be a priority placed upon male athletics in comparison to traditionally female sports. Miller relayed her own observations regarding the contrast between sports typically populated by men versus women at PV. “Football is a major sport with major funding compared to other sports here,” she said. The Tiger Girls’ statement has provided dancers the opportunity to voice their own concerns about the challenges of the sport.

The LSU Tiger Girls’ viral Hip Hop routine has created an outlet for the empowerment of female athletes and exposure regarding the stigmas competitive dancers of all demographics face.