Top 5 U.S. Olympic Athletes With an Impact Outside of Their Sport

Raystorm CC 3.0 via Wikipedia
Danelle Umstead, founder of the Sisters in Sport organization, prepares for a downhill ski event.

Olympic athletes have been showcasing their extraordinary abilities for the past couple of weeks, and while many of these athletes are solely known for their impressive accomplishments in their respective sports, many have expanded their platforms to advocate for social change. The following are athletes from the United States whose impact has extended beyond their decorated athletic career. 

Chris Mazdzer

Mazdzer is a long-time Olympic competitor, making his debut in 2010 and winning the first ever U.S. Olympic medal in men’s singles luge in 2018. He sits on both the Executive Board of the Federation of International Luge and the Board of Directors of the United States Luge Association, where he works on continually improving the sport for athletes. Mazdzer is also a mentor athlete for Classroom Champions, helping to “implement Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) curriculum and mentorship programs to improve engagement, build growth mindsets and inspire positive classroom culture.” Though the mission of Classroom Champions may not seem overly influential, the impact is evident: 94% of teachers reported that Classroom Champions improved student grades, and 85% of teachers reported improved student attendance. 

Danelle Umstead

Danelle Umstead began to lose her sight at age 13 due to retinitis pigmentosa, a degenerative eye disease that progressively causes vision loss. Instead of letting her challenges overcome her, Umstead became a three-time Paralympic medalist in alpine skiing and launched her own charity, Sisters in Sport. The organization works to “ignite a community of women and girls with disabilities by providing mentor and education programs that encourage participation in sport, develop passion and build a collective voice.” Sisters in Sport offers both scholarship and mentorship programs while simultaneously providing women with skills to advocate for themselves. 

Mikaela Shiffrin 

As one of the United States’ most anticipated athletes, Shiffrin has elevated her platform by joining Madison Keys’ foundation, Kindness Wins, an organization focused on “demonstrating that even in the most competitive environment, acts of kindness are possible and their outcomes are impactful.” The three-time Olympian and two-time gold medalist awarded a Medal of Kindness late last year to Fritz Kremsl, a construction worker for mobile infrastructure and a key member of World Cup working crews. The organization has also established a Kindness Wins Day, focusing on stories of inspiring amiability and spreading kindness through all walks of life. 

Chloe Kim 

Chloe Kim is the first woman ever to win back-to-back gold medals in the halfpipe event. In 2019, Kim joined the Protect our Winters (POW) Alliance, a climate movement made to protect places and outdoor lifestyles from looming effects of climate change. “It just made sense,” said Kim. “Seeing the impacts of climate change first-hand and hearing all of the discussions happening around it, I felt like I needed to get involved. My career and my love of snowboarding depend on it.”

Elana Meyers Taylor 

Capturing her fifth Olympic medal in Beijing, Meyers Taylor has an impressive track record and made history as the oldest woman to medal in bobsledding. In 2020, she gave birth to a son with down syndrome and recently decided to auction off her opening ceremony parka to donate the proceeds to the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS). Additionally, Meyers Taylor has served as President for the Women’s Sports Foundation, an organization that “exists to enable girls and women to reach their potential in sport and life.” The four-time Olympian has additionally served on the Athlete Advisory Panel and is currently a Classroom Champions mentor like Chris Mazdzer. 

Olympians are automatically given a platform as they compete at the esteemed games and represent their country, but certain athletes expand their platform to encompass a wider range of topics. Though the athletes above make headlines with their incredible abilities, their dedication outside of their respective sports may have an even greater impact.