Top Five Places to Thrift Shop in The Quad Cities

The+Bettendorf%2C+IA.+Goodwill+is+one+of+the+best+places+to+thrift+locally.+
Makenna Leiby
The Bettendorf, IA. Goodwill is one of the best places to thrift locally.

The number of teens interested in shopping for vintage clothing at a low price is higher than ever before. However, in our Midwestern community, thrift shops are far and few between, so local students are left wondering where to find aesthetic outerwear. Within the limited options, there are a few that stand out as worth a visit!

1. Goodwill- Rock Island 

This Goodwill site, located in the heart of Rock Island, Ill., has one of the largest local selections, and it is guaranteed you will find something in your size and style when shopping. The items featured vary from colorful sweaters to name brand jeans, all selling for prices far below market value. This location is a one-stop-shop for dress-wear, coats and accessories. Plus, they often add deals like half-priced items and two items for 88 cents onto their already great prices. 

1. Disabled American Veterans 

Disabled American Veterans (DAV) is a non-profit thrift store located in Davenport, Iowa The proceeds of sales and donations made at DAV go directly to the local community of veterans with disabilities. DAV is not only working towards a great cause, but the selection they present is unbeatable. They sell everything from swimwear to sweatshirts to hats and at any given time the store is housing over 40,000 items. DAV’s famous deal is their 20 cent books!

1. The Friendly Thrift Center

The Friendly Thrift Center is located in Davenport, Iowa and is a volunteer-run thrift store selling donated new and used clothing items. They offer extremely affordable prices and eliminate all charges for persons unable to afford certain purchases. The Friendly Thrift Center has a smaller selection, but they are the best place to visit for handbags, children’s clothing and seasonal gear!

1. Goodwill-Bettendorf 

This Goodwill site in Bettendorf, Iowa features a slightly smaller array of clothing than the Rock Island site but guarantees more name brands and similar deals. The store is always in stock with brands like Columbia, Nike and Levi’s. Bettendorf’s Goodwill is neatly organized, and shopping for specific items is made simple. Shop here first when looking for button-ups, women’s jeans and tank tops!

1. Plato’s Closet 

Plato’s Closet is a consignment store located in Davenport, Iowa, that sells selective clothing and accessories based on their popularity. Therefore, Plato’s Closet features less vintage items and more name-brands like American Eagle, Hollister and Brandy Melville. The store consistently has thousands of items on display and is neatly organized by size and color. Plato’s Closet is more expensive than typical thrift stores, but quality purchases are guaranteed. This is the perfect place to shop for women’s jeans or shorts, graphic tees and shoes!

The search for affordable vintage clothing can be tough, but shopping at these local stores can make it easier!