Ukrainians unite while Russia divides: The aftermath of the Ukrainian invasion and what can be done to help

Myroslava Goodpaster
Junior Emily Goodpaster shows her support for Ukraine with her volleyball team.

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine was a domestic and international surprise. However, people all over the world bounced back quickly in a variety of ways to support Ukraine while taking action to suppress Russia.

One of the most common ways to counteract a corrupt action is to protest. Anti-war protests have been breaking out everywhere. From Norway to Tokyo, many have gathered outside of Russian Embassies. Armed with pro-Ukraine slogans and Ukrainian flags, they demanded for all of the violence to cease.

However, the most impactful protests are the ones that have occurred domestically within Russia. Most Russians were shocked when President Vladimir Putin ordered troops to invade Ukraine. Braving through the beatings and detentions they are bound to receive, Russian citizens are rising up against their leader. Some have taken to the streets while others have turned to social media to express their disgust. 

Social studies teacher Sara Russell expressed her admiration for Russian protesters. “I think the most powerful [thing] that we are seeing is when Russians themselves are protesting within their country because of the different levels of freedom that exist there,” she said. “In Russia, protesting could be a threat to their existence, so I think when you see those protests from within that just sends a very powerful message.”

However, the Russian government has fought back, arresting over 6,500 protestors. Multiple Russian and Ukrainian news sources have been blocked for expressing views against Putin and his regime. Though Putin rules with an iron fist, Russians are hoping their efforts will make a difference.

Donating is an effective way to help. Multiple organizations are providing pathways for people to donate to certain causes. Razom for Ukraine and GlobalGiving Ukraine Relief Fund are both providing medical supplies and other humanitarian aid. UNICEF is focusing all donations towards children and families who have been caught by the war. Refugee organizations, such as the International Rescue Committee, are using all donations towards evacuating families out of conflicted areas.

A new form of support for Ukraine has recently emerged. By booking an Airbnb in Ukraine, people can easily transfer money to Ukrainians who are in desperate need of money. The company itself, Airbnb, has also joined the effort. A spokesperson stated that the company will waive all extra fees for Airbnbs in Ukraine. 

Airbnb has presented a major incentive because it tells people that their money will go directly to an individual instead of a corporation. Russell voiced her surprise at how easy but effective this process is. “It is that kind of grass roots effort to try to help in the most immediate way that I think is really inspiring,” she said.

In countries such as the United States and Canada, residents are taking a different approach against Russia. Many businesses, including Off Point Pub in Davenport, Iowa, have boycotted Russian vodka. Unfortunately, this practice does not have much of an economic impact towards Russia because less than 1% of alcohol consumed in the United States is made in Russia. However, the symbolism is impactful. It shows that the people of the United States are not divided on Ukraine’s invasion.

Signs of support have been shown locally as well. Many businesses have pitched in to help Ukraine. LoPiez Pizza is donating $1 from every river pilot vodka that they sell. The Mississippi River Distilling Company has agreed to match this donation as well. The I-74 bridge was also lit up in yellow and blue to stand with Ukraine.

Here at PV, many have shown their support. Junior Emily Goodpaster is Ukrainian. She shared how her and her family showed their support. “My family has made shirts supporting Ukraine, and we wear a few other signs such as bracelets and ribbons everyday. We also participate in social media postings and my sister and I’s volleyball teams have also shown Ukrainian colors,” she said.

The world has come together in showing support for Ukraine. Regardless of which way one does it, it is important to continue aiding Ukraine. Participating in these efforts can ensure a future in which peace exists.