Defining the line: In a politically correct world, when does comedy go too far?

Andy Witchger vis Wikipedia Commons
Chris Rock performs in front of a live audience, a setting where navigating comedy is extremely important.

Comedy has the potential to bring people together and create new relationships, but when humor goes too far it leads to a divided crowd instead of a united one. So in a politically correct world, how do comedians and celebrities navigate comedy? 

The most recent scandal that quickly went viral occurred after Chris Rock may have taken comedy too far at the 2022 Oscars. After Rock made a remark about Jada Pinkett Smith, her husband, Will Smith, approached the stage and hit Rock. Light banter is tolerated and accepted, but Rock may have crossed a line.

In past years, these shows have been known for the comedic introductions that bring the audience together with laughter. Although hosts often share personal remarks of their audience, these comments rarely spark controversy. 

However, navigating comedy in today’s world has proven to be difficult, especially for celebrities who have so many eyes on them. Any politically incorrect comments could result in fans “canceling” the speaker, which in some cases can be career-ending.

Senior Carter Carroll was a viewer of the latest Oscars. He stated, “When I was watching the show live I honestly thought it might have been part of the skit,” he said. “I couldn’t believe that Will Smith would openly do that in front of a live audience.” 

From an outside perspective, most viewers were surprised by the outrage Smith showed, to the point of even believing it was a part of the show. After Rock used Smith’s wife in a joke, people began questioning whether or not the joke was “too far.” 

“I believe Chris Rock is in the right in the situation; comedy is a part of the show and the way Smith reacted to the situation was not appropriate,” Carroll continued.

Viewers have high expectations for a show as big as the Oscars, and the speakers hold a lot of that weight on their back. Viewers expect to be entertained, while staying within the bounds of socially acceptable content. 

Senior Ava Kwak was also a viewer of the show. “It goes for everything with a high viewing like this. Being politically correct is important, and appealing to the whole audience is really important,” said Kwak.

Influencers are constantly being watched. Everything they say can be used against them, and when it comes to comedy it is easy to cross a line. In a politically correct world, the line between comedy and offensive content is seemingly blurry. Navigating what is right and wrong is crucial in order to appeal to all audiences.