from topgolf to youtube:golf finds a way to cater to all

Senior Jacob Cox, an avid supporter of Good Good watching the channel during study hall.

With the influence of social media and the emergence of a new golf tour, the game of golf has expanded to appeal to a larger audience. Golf, typically viewed as a formal sport with strict rules, has opened its doors to more variation of the game. 

Social media, especially, allowed for a big change for the sport. 

The YouTubs Channels Good Good, Rick Shiels Golf, Bob Does Sports and others have helped to increase the number of players. On their channels, YouTubers do a variety of challenges, review banned golf clubs all while showing the great time they are having.

Senior Jacob Cox is a leisure golfer and sees what YouTube is doing for golf as a great thing. “It’s good that golf has found a niche on YouTube,” Cox mentioned. “It’s always seemed as a sport for old or rich people, and channels like Good Good make it more appealing to a broader, younger audience.” 

In addition to social media, golf venues have helped for the sport to grow. Topgolf is a driving range that allows for its players to hit electronically tracked golf balls into a large driving range aside other bays within the building. With a total of 71 Topgolf locations in America, the chain serves food to its bays, catering to groups up to six players per bay, and an event anyone can enjoy. 

Local golf pro and coach Kevin Kwak is all for growing the game of golf and appealing to a broader audience. Kwak is in the midst of opening a “top tracer range” at Pebble Creek Golf Course. “A place that families can go to and enjoy the game as a family unit,” is Kwak’s intention with opening the range. “A place that families and friends can go to and spend quality ‘leisure’ time together while still enjoying the game.”

Kwak is an ambassador for growth in the sport. He mentions that “Golf is not changing, but evolving into a more laid-back sport.” There is an ability for golfers to play a four+ hour round of golf, or take 30 minutes hitting balls at the range. “It’s a great game.”

In addition to the casualty of golf online and the structure catered around golf, the newly found golf tour, LIV, challenges the stereotypes of golf. Dominant tour PGA, hosts rules that make the sport quiet and formal. On the other hand, LIV contradicts these rules and has a very laid back setting at its events. With music playing in the background, fans are able to loudly show their support, in a Happy Gilmore-esque manner.

As golf continues to grow, it will keep evolving from a sport seen as formal and strict on rules to a casual game that anyone of all ages can partake in.