“She was just too perfect for this world”: A tribute to Charly Erpelding

Charly+Erpelding+crowned+Homecoming+Queen+her+senior+year+at+Bettendorf+High+School%2C+alongside+her+parents+Tara+and+Andy+Erpelding.+
Charly Erpelding crowned Homecoming Queen her senior year at Bettendorf High School, alongside her parents Tara and Andy Erpelding.

A lover, fighter, sister and daughter. Charly Erpelding brightened the lives of everyone she encountered, and countless members of the Bettendorf community will forever remember the inspiring role she played in their lives. 

On Oct. 10, 2022, Charly passed peacefully, surrounded by her loved ones after persevering through the return of her cancer. She was first diagnosed at 8 years old with Ewing Sarcoma, a cancer living in bones or soft tissue. Eight years later, in May of 2021, the cancer returned. 

Tyler Ramstack, one of Charly’s best friends, appreciated their special bond and the lessons she learned from their friendship. “Charly showed me how to walk through life, facing the hardest obstacles head on. She will forever be my best friend and for that, I will always live my life how she did: strong, brave, and courageous,” Ramstack said. 

Everyone close to Charly admired her strength and perseverance through both the ups and downs of her life. Like Ramstack, Bettendorf graduate Luke Weckel cherished Charly’s friendship. “Words cannot describe how thankful and blessed I am to have shared time with her. She was loved by many, and forever will be.” Weckel said.  

Charly filled her limited years with accomplishments and involvement. During her senior year, she was crowned Homecoming Queen at Bettendorf High School. From being on student council and making National Honors Society, Tara Erpelding, Charly’s mother, shared, “She is smart. Always the highest honor roll. We had countless study groups at our house where we could hear her and her friends giggling, studying, helping each other. She had a gift for bringing people together.” 

Macie Zimmerman, another of Charly’s good friends, recounted Charly’s genuine kindness and loving spirit. “I think the greatest thing about Charly was her ability to love everyone for who they are, and to make everyone feel accepted. I never had to act differently around her because her smile, laugh, and positivity made me feel instantly comfortable whenever I was with her,” Zimmerman stated.

At Bettendorf High School’s 2022 graduation, Charly was elected class speaker. In her speech, she expressed her gratitude for her classmates and family for never leaving her side. The strength and bravery in choosing to give her eulogy in front of her entire senior class remains outstanding. 

Hailey Behning, Charly’s cousin, admired Charly and claimed her fondest memories include Charly. “To put it into simple words, she was just too perfect for this world. She was my go to lunch date, my shopping buddy, my most favorite movie partner, and everything in between. There was not one ounce of her that wasn’t perfect,” she shared. “It’s hard for us down here, but to know you have the most perfect angel watching over you is a special feeling. I’ll miss and love her forever and ever until I get to see her again.” 

Carley Behning, another cousin, was close with Charly throughout her life, “Even when she was at her sickest, she was constantly checking on everyone else and making sure that they were okay. She may have been younger than me, but she’s a role model that I will look up to forever.”

The community never failed to show their support for Charly. Duck Creek Tire Service held a charity show once the cancer returned. Most of the proceeds went directly to Charly and her family to offset medical costs. Charly’s place of work, Nothing Bundt Cakes, held a week-long fundraiser for her family and raised over $6,000. And the community managed to raise over $60,000 on Charly’s GoFundMe page, “Cheerin For Charly.” In honor of Charly, the community has come together to spread the color yellow through social media posts, apparel, and ribbon, allowing little reminders of her to be a part of everyone’s day to day lives. 

Charly’s family takes time to remember the bright soul she was. After years of watching their young girl grow up, Tara Erpelding always admired the sweet ways of her daughter Charly. “She built people up, not down. She was very protective of the feelings of those she loved. She was the best at reassuring you, making you feel like everything was going to be ok,” she said, ”Even feeling crummy and being in cancer treatment for a year and a half, she smiled and laughed non-stop. She loved to laugh. She had a unique belly laugh that was so genuine you couldn’t help but smile and laugh with her,” she shared. 

A girl so many called the most joyful to walk the earth never failed to smile as she endured her pain. She constantly reassured those around her that she was alright. Charly’s positive attitude in the face of adversity inspired others. As Charly once said, “My positive mindset is what pulled me through. In the end, a negative attitude could be your biggest regret.”

Charly’s impact on this community will never be forgotten. In a world full of negativity, Charly made the world shine a little brighter. It is with a heavy heart that it’s come time to say goodbye, but she’ll never truly be gone. As her dear friend Weckel said, “Fly high Charly; you’re forever in our hearts.”