The Importance of Plyos in PVGTF

Elizabeth Foad
Grace Boleyn handing the baton to Lydia Sommer during the 4×800 meter dash at Drake Relays in 2022.

“Eat healthier. Be skinnier. Train harder.” 

Runners have heard these phrases countless times throughout their training. However, many do not realize that one key factor that boosts a runner’s performance is plyos. Also known as plyometric exercises, plyos target specific muscle groups so they can handle greater amounts of force and stress strained upon them. As runners are constantly striking the ground, any extra support is welcomed.

The Pleasant Valley Girls Track and Field team (PVGTF), is using plyos to their advantage. 

With the upcoming track season approaching quickly, the girls track and field team has always been one step ahead. Whether it be from a leadership group, extra training in the off-season or inviting a nutritionist to practice, PVGTF is constantly on the search for new ways to sustain physical health and prevent injuries. 

PVGTF holds plyo and agility practices for the whole track team twice a week for over an hour, and their turnout has been amazing. Assistant Coach Kaz leads plyos and Head Coach Kenny Wheeler also attends them.

One outstanding track athlete who has attended these agility lessons is junior Josie Case. She placed in the 2021 cross-country state meet and was an elite-all state athlete in her 2022 track season. “Plyos helps us train out of season and keep our cardio up,” explained Case. “Then, when the season starts, we feel more prepared. I believe that plyos increases both our physical and mental fitness.” Just like Case, many athletes have felt the benefits of plyos.

Alhtough Case is a mid-distance runner, plyometrics also improves runners’ abilities in longer and shorter distances, as well as throwers and jumpers. 

Plyos focuses on speed and strength, areas which require reflexes and fibers. Plyos are fast and explosive, helping athletes in any area of track and field. For instance, PVGTF incorporates a substantial amount of alterations of box-jumps, sprints and band work as a part of their plyos training. 

Case has noticed the change in her body through these agility lessons. “I feel stronger, faster, and better,” she continued. “Plyos has taught me not only how to strengthen my physical body, but also how to strengthen my mentality. I believe it helps everyone in their season.” While the track team reaps the benefits physically, they are also building their teamwork and cooperation.

One of the largest contributors to a team’s achievement is their unified motivation and teamwork.

Through weekly plyo lessons, the girls learn to motivate one another. They discover what talents and weaknesses each has, and they encourage each other to work together to use or strengthen them.

In a recent Instagram post, the coaches admired the commitment girls were willing to put into their sport. “Coach Kaz directed the largest turnout we’ve ever had for our plyo and agility session-in 5 years,” The PVGTF account stated. “But it wasn’t just that. It’s when a group of people buy into a vision, the journey, and are just seeking to get better-together.” By bringing the team together, plyos empower athletes’ devotion and determination.

As each young athlete learns together, their bond and strength grows. PVGTF’s future depends on these factors, and is setting the standard for future years to come. This will allow PVGTF to be not only one step ahead, but many. 

As the PVGTF team awaits the upcoming track season this spring, they will reap the mental and physical benefits of plyometrics training.