HAVlifeQC: An organization that aims to help kids achieve their full potential

The+logo+of+the+HAVlife+foundation.+
HAVlife Website
The logo of the HAVlife foundation.

The importance of extracurriculars, particularly those of the arts or athletics, has been recognized by many. Extracurriculars can teach students many skills that they can’t learn through just academics, such as time management, leadership, networking and more. In addition to that, studies have found that participation in athletics helps increase test scores by 40% as well as increase GPA. 

However, many students don’t have the resources to participate in extracurricular activities. According to a University of Michigan study, 1 in 6 middle and high school students are not a part of any extracurricular activities and the lack of participation increases by two when comparing lower income students to those of higher income.

But, a local organization is trying to change this. 

HAVlife is an organization located in the Quad Cities whose mission is to “‘Prevent Lost Potential’ with youth 10-15 years of age, through support of their participation in athletics, music and the arts.” stated Kimberly Guy, the president of the organization. 

This organization was created in memory of a young boy named Hunter Aaron Vondran who passed away at age 13 in 2004. Vondran’s family wanted to provide other children who may have not been lucky enough to have the opportunities Vondran had. 

“We seek to create opportunities for youth to experience life by increasing exposure to positive community influences and interventive moments. Scholarships to receive music lessons and attend art camps, play organized sports, these are those interventive moments that can spark a passion in a student, but only if they are able to pay to participate,” stated Guy. 

The organization has partnered with schools and districts in the Quad Cities so that teachers can identify and recommend students who are unable to participate in extracurriculars, but want to, to the organization. Aid, like the scholarships, is then provided to these students. 

By providing this help, HAVlife hopes to “fund all the activities that fall through the cracks as school funds are cut and family budgets run short. We believe this results in the development of a positive and confident approach to citizenship,,” continued Guy. 

Organizations like HAVlife are crucial in unlocking the potential in children who may not recognize their talents or likes yet. They have the power to develop well-rounded and talented individuals. The impact they provide on a child’s future is immense, helping set up the children for future success.