Top 9 Holiday Dinner Topics

Lydia Sommer
Enjoy a fun and enlightening conversation with your family this season.

During the holidays, families tend to enjoy the company of one another. A popular tradition for many is holding a holiday dinner. However, sometimes it can be awkward, and disagreements start. To avoid this tension, here is a list of the best, noncontroversial topics to discuss with your family! 

A Political Viewpoint

Whether republican, democratic or one of the other ones, who really knows what they are anyway, everyone can agree that politics are a tame discussion topic. Politics  is so easy to agree on and never ignites arguments, especially in a household with varying beliefs. Politics show exactly who you are as a person; it shows your personality, belief system and anything else you can think of. So, when discussing politics or a recent worldly event, remember that an individual’s viewpoint is who they are as a person, nothing less! Enjoy your civil discussion.

Your Newly Found Religion 

After being raised in a religious house, it is perfectly okay to explore different religions that may suit you better, and your parents probably agree! So, when you come home from college, a faraway job or something else, make sure to inform everyone, especially your grandparents or great-grandparents, that you are no longer religious; instead, you are happily an atheist. Everyone will surely accept your decision to change, and they will even be interested in your journey to newfound salvation! You may even try to convince them to convert as well! It is a great way to start your holiday dinner off on a strong, holy and dutiful note.

Your Recent Schooling Experience

Many people struggle with school, no matter what grade they’re in. However, most college students have doubts about their future and if they want to continue attending university. So, if this is you, don’t be afraid to voice your opinion! Dropping out of college is a hard decision to make, but if it’s what you need to do, don’t be scared to pursue it. Dropping this news on your whole family during the holidays will definitely give them a holiday surprise! It will also let them know the five sweatshirts they bought with your university logo will no longer be needed, helping your family save money instead of using it with uncertainty! 

Why You Don’t Have a Significant Other

A typical, great conversation starter: ask a sibling why they don’t have a significant other! This is an amazing way to get to know your sibling better and understand what is wrong with them. Whether it’s their style, the horrible way they chew with their mouth open and never shut it, annoying personality, lack of beauty, clinginess or something else, take a deep, analytical look into their imperfections. A significant other is important, so you must ensure that your sibling is okay with being alone during the holidays. It is the perfect way to check up on your sibling! 

Recent Weight Gain

It’s the question everyone has been asking themselves inside their head, but no one had the courage to ask— Why did you gain weight? Asking a stranger is never okay since you don’t have intimacy or trust like that of a family member. So, fire away! Ask your mother, who birthed you and your three siblings, why she’s looking a little thicker around the edges. She won’t mind, in fact, she will use it as motivation to get back into the shape she was in nearly 30 years and four pregnancies ago. Anything is possible, and you just made her night by being so vigilant and aware!

Gun Control

Should firearms be locked up or should they be distributed freely across the country? Who knows! Mention this at the dinner table, and watch as your family members’ facial expressions change as quickly as a bullet being fired. Like politics, an opinion about gun control represents your attitude toward the country. It will reveal who is a true, hard-working, old-timer American, versus who is a blue-haired, riveting, young American. 

This is a great topic to have with grandparents, especially those who have served in the army, as they enlighten you with their extensive knowledge about firearms. Many say gun control is an easy-to-agree-on topic, and this is entirely true! While you’re discussing this gentle topic, maybe bring up a few connected matters like murder, prison, violence and more. Have a beautiful and kind discussion!

Sex Life

Right as everyone is taking the first bite out of their meal, make sure to comment about how you’re sexually active. In fact, go into extensive and in-depth detail. Actually, describe everything you have ever done with your partner, casual hookup or sneaky links! Families love when you’re brutally honest and describe your elaborate endeavors. Share your kinks with your parents because they are bound to agree with them. Even your fetishes will be supported. 

Why You Deserve to be Paid More

Money this, money that, everyone seems to be complaining about money! Your sister is a single mother raising her 5-year-old daughter, and she makes $20,000, so why is she complaining? Your brother recently got divorced with 3 three children and has to pay child support, so why is he complaining? Your father got laid off from his job, so why is he complaining? 

You, on the other hand, are the youngest in the family, fresh out of college with no student loans, and live in a great part of town with a nice apartment. However, you only get paid $100,000 per year. Surely, you deserve more. While it’s only your third day at the job, you deserve a raise because money doesn’t grow on trees! Talk about your financial need with your family, maybe your brother, sister and dad can help you out sometimes! Sheesh, the economy ruins young, thriving people like yourself.

Get Your Family to Join a Rising Business

An old friend of yours just reached out to you, explaining a super sweet business she promotes through social media. She wants YOU to join her, and that is quite flattering. At the dinner table, make sure to inform your family, and recruit them into this business. It is on the rise and has a great plan for its future. Be sure to explain the process steps, which include starting from the bottom and climbing your way to the top. It is the perfect discussion because the process steps appear similar to a family tree—branching out and wide at the bottom and narrowing toward the top. 

Just remember to recruit your family members! Remember the smiling face of your old friend! Recruit and rise! And remember the specific words of your friend, this is NOT a pyramid scheme!