The Importance for Teens To Invest

Kushi Maridu has a part time job and regularly invests money.
Atharv Neema

Investing as a teenager can be a daunting task, but also an important one. With the right tools and knowledge, investing can provide a strong foundation for financial success in the future. 

Time is on your side as a teenager. The earlier you start investing, the more time your money has to grow and compound over the years. This can lead to a much larger return on your investment over the long term. Demonstrating the power of compounding over time, investing early can result in a massive upside. 

Consider the following scenario: if you begin investing $50 per month at the age of 15 and continue to do so until the age of 65, your investment would grow to more than $600,000 if it were to yield an average return of 7% annually, following the trend of the S&P 500 – one of the most widely-invested-in indexes. Conversely, if you delay your investment until 30 and invest the same $50 per month, you will accumulate approximately $350,000 by age 65. This illustrates the power of compound interest and the importance of investing early.

Investing as a teenager can help you prepare for the financial challenges of adulthood. Whether you are saving for a down payment on a house, planning for retirement or simply trying to build a solid financial foundation, investing can help you reach your goals more quickly and easily. 

By investing a portion of your income now, you can create a nest egg that will be there for you when you need it most. For instance, if you start investing $50 a month at the age of 15 towards a down payment on a house, by age 25, you will have saved up $15,000.  This leads to more return than other forms of earning money such as working part time jobs

Many students take on part-time jobs to earn extra money, but often find themselves spending it all on everyday expenses such as food, clothes and other necessities. Junior Nathan Musal believes that a part-time job can be a valuable tool for saving money over time. “Investing capital is one of the best ways to accumulate wealth,” he explains. “I think more people should be saving and investing at least a portion of the money they earn from their part-time jobs.” 

Despite this, many students still choose not to invest their money. Why? 

Junior James Theil had an answer to students’ lack of investments. “The social environment that teens experience glorifies having money and showing off riches which often pressures teens to spend money instead of investing,” Theil said. This social pressure is caused by fast fashion and the culture to look rich through influencers. 

Investing can teach you valuable risk management, budgeting and financial planning skills. These skills can be helpful not only in your finances but also in your professional life as you pursue a career. Understanding how to evaluate investments and manage risk will serve you well in any field you choose.

Investing in stocks will teach you about the companies you invest in and how the market operates. Real estate investment teaches you about market trends and the most profitable locations. Investing in a bond teaches you about fixed-income investments’ risks and rewards. With this knowledge, you will be able to make informed decisions and be prepared for any financial situations that may come your way.

Building wealth early can give you a financial head start and provide more opportunities in the future. By creating a solid financial foundation, you can pursue the things that matter most to you, whether that is traveling, buying a house or starting a business. 

Investing as a teenager can be daunting, but it is essential. By starting early, you have the advantage of time, can prepare for the future better, and learn valuable skills. With the proper knowledge and tools, you can build a solid financial foundation for the future.