Pressure from Prestige in Athletics

Athletes+commitments+to+prestigious+universities+spark+controversy.+
Lydia Sommer
Athletes’ commitments to prestigious universities spark controversy.

After countless hours working on numerous grueling college applications, the exhausting realization sets in: a seemingly perfect student may not get into any of their dream universities. Yet, as they take a break to check their phone, they see the student with a lower ACT and GPA than them has posted a photo with the caption, “I am officially committed to Harvard University!”

How can a student-athlete get into a prestigious university, but the straight-A, multiple club-founder, 36 ACT student gets rejected?

From the outside, it appears to be a biased benefit, which should not be allowed. However, like a talent in music, creative writing or club leadership, athletics showcase a unique trait that students may possess. However, unlike other talents, outstanding athletes’ abilities help them to get recruited into a prestigious university. Because of these opportunities, many students and parents believe it is an unfair advantage, as athletes may not need as high of an ACT or SAT score or GPA to be admitted. 

Despite the assumptions, many student-athletes face the same amount of pressure as any other student. While trying to be the best at their sport by putting in countless hours of training every day, they must also maintain a certain academic appearance to attend a prestigious college. 

Senior Sophia Ramaraju is both a capable rower and accomplished student. She has committed to Stanford University to further her rowing career. “I have and continue to put in a lot of work and effort into both my academics and athletics” stated Ramaraju. “I take rigorous and challenging classes while practicing twice a day”. Like many other athletes who committed to prestigious universities, Ramaraju’s dedication has paid off

Her dedication shows the academic commitment and rigor she has put herself through because Stanford’s acceptance rate is only an appalling 5%.

With such a low acceptance rate, one might wonder about the type of support an athlete receives. Athletes at Stanford who have high academic records are admitted at a rate of 83%, whereas a typical student is admitted at 5%. Therefore, it seems that athletes cannot be held to the same standard as a typical Stanford applicant, but they very nearly are.

While their gifted athletic abilities earn them a spot on their sports team, their GPA and ACT must be outstandingly high. Depending on their sport, they must meet high criteria and maintain them throughout their years attending the school. 

Although startling, many falsify or exaggerate them with their own speculations, which affect a student athlete’s self-esteem. 

While some believe that athletes have it easier to become committed to a school, but Ramaraju disagrees. “Generally people tend to believe it is easier for athletes to attend prestigious schools. I have not received any comments about my choice to row at Stanford University, presumably due to my challenging course load throughout high school” she explained. “I believe people would have made comments about me had I not, and that would have made me feel as though I didn’t work hard enough to get to where I am today”. It is simpler to judge an athlete than to understand how they fairly got accepted into a university.

An individual who commits to college for a sport deserves a spot on that team, as they have earned it through their application of scholars and athletics. However, when they are perceived negatively, it only emphasizes the doubts and insecurities they have in themselves. 

In athletics, self-perception and confidence are key factors in how well an athlete performs. Unfortunately, with the resentment people have toward athletes attending prestigious universities, athletes’ mindsets are skewed and there is a direct negative correlation. 

Senior Alexa Very is committed to New York University, where she will continue to play softball. “I have received some comments about moving so far away for school, and I have also received some comments about deciding to play softball so far away,” Very said. “Not all have been negative, but some definitely have. I think it’s a bit of an unknown that may cause some doubt”. She has experienced doubt and criticism of others and herself due to her sport. 

The stereotype that athletes only care about their athletic appearance and receive special treatment proves that athletes face harsh criticism and extrinsic influence when it comes to committing to a university. Despite their intelligence or capabilities, they are judged and challenged every day in the perception of themselves. 

The pressure from prestige is real, and it continues to affect athletes.