Starter jobs for local teens

High school is a time where students get involved with new activities and seek different interests including the search for their first jobs. Here in Bettendorf, there are various opportunities that lie in front of the high school eye. There are numerous positions that would be an excellent fit for a high school worker. Multiple stores, restaurants, daycares, coffee shops and even the local YMCA, where most high schoolers frequently attend, have been reported as great first jobs for local teens. However, our local Hy-Vee and Coffee Hound have been a perfect fit for some.

Hy-Vee is a very popular place where PV students work. Lauren Cramer, senior, loves working at Hy-Vee, “They are flexible with your hours and finding someone to cover your shift is easy with many other high schoolers working there.” It’s important to find a job that can fit a busy schedule, but also have a friendly environment, “It’s a great place to start out at. The managers are fun to work with along with the other employees.” Jared Albee, senior, said.

Not only is Hy-Vee a frequent hit for many teen’s firsts jobs, our Bettendorf Coffee Hound has inspired PV students to take on their first job there. Junior, Laura Brown, suggests, “It’s a welcoming place, I like working at Coffee Hound because it’s a small business, so I am able to get to know most of the customers. It’s a really good first job.”

There are many different factors to keep in mind with choosing a first job. The hours of work available, coworkers and location can make or break a job application. Luckily there are great places here in Bettendorf that are a perfect fit for teens to work at. Hy-Vee and Coffee Hound are just two examples. Listed below are places of work that accept first time- teenage workers.

• Texas Roadhouse
  • Applebees
  • Governors
  • Whiteys
  • Marco’s Pizza
  • Red Apple Daycare
  • Hand & Hand
  • YMCA
  • Tj Maxx
  • Old Navy
  • Suntan City