Preseason track training

It’s almost that time of year when track season begins, and the boys and girls teams have both been working hard throughout the winter. They have been practicing at the Pepsico Center in Rock Island everyday, planning for the upcoming season. Rachel Tebbe, senior, commented “Our team will be surprising this year. The team realizes they are the underdogs going into the season.” Rachel believes that is when they perform their best. Everyone on the team is excited for what is going to come with this years competition.

Goals for the team regarding the MAC Conference and state meets have already been set. Coach Wheeler, the girls track coach, explained “The Spartans are going to do great things this coming year and cannot wait for all of the excitement.” Coach Wheeler believes that getting enough sleep and eating healthy foods will prepare the athletes even more for this season. He explains that sleep is very important for the young athletes.

The boys team has also been doing great things throughout their indoor track season. Mark Conway, senior, said “The team will be good this year, but the loss of Nick Yanek will hurt the team.” Currently, Mark and his teammates are practicing everyday to prepare for their season. With the indoor season, the boys are getting valuable practice to prepare them for the outdoor season.

Only a few weeks are left for the girls and boys teams before they start official practices. The spartans are hoping for a great season this year and cannot wait to see their hard work pay off. The first home meet for the girls is on April 7, 2017, and the boys will be home on March 31, 2017. Both teams hope to see Spartan Nation there supporting them.