Caitlin Clark sets a new standard

Caitlin+Clark+dribbles+down+the+court+in+the+playoff+game+against+Ohio+State%2C+March+5%2C+2023.+
John Mac via Wikipedia
Caitlin Clark dribbles down the court in the playoff game against Ohio State, March 5, 2023.

Every spring during March Madness basketball, a star emerges as their team makes a magical run through the tournament. Many NBA and other professional athletes take notice and mention the players on their social media. 

With the popularity of men’s college basketball, it is often male  players who emerge from the tournament. This year, however, the March superstar came from the women’s tournament. Iowa Hawkeyes junior guard Caitlin Clark has changed the trajectory of women’s basketball as a whole, rising to popularity and trailblazing a path for other young women to follow in her footsteps.

On March 26, the Iowa Hawkeyes women’s basketball team punched their ticket into the final four for the first time in 30 years. The Hawks’ huge win was backed by a historic performance by Clark, who became the first player to score a 40 point triple double in the men’s or women’s NCAA tournament. 

Clark’s impressive performance captured the attention of many fans throughout the sports community. “I normally don’t watch much women’s basketball, but I had to tune in to watch Caitlin Clark on the big stage,” senior Matt Douglas said. “Her performance was electrifying.” 

So many people tuned in to watch Clark’s thrilling performance that the game attracted more viewers than the average NBA game last season. Even professional athletes and celebrities such as LeBron James, John Cena and former Iowa athlete TJ Hockenson praised her on their socials. 

Senior Halle Vice, a future college basketball player herself, enjoyed the exposure that Clark’s performance brought to womens basketball. “I think the way she plays brings a lot of attention to the game,” Vice said. “She has made a huge impact on women’s basketball over the last couple of years.”

Clark was voted the best women’s college basketball player in the nation, but there is much more than her skill that makes her stand out. “I think the passion she plays with draws a lot of attention to her game and womens basketball overall,” Vice commented. 

As March continues, we continue to see a women’s basketball player be in the spotlight. Highlighted by her historic performances and intense emotions, Clark is making a name for not just women’s basketball, but women’s sports as a whole. 

Despite Clark and the Hawkeyes falling to LSU in the National Championship, Clark remains an inspiration to many young athletes around the country. Clark says she plans to come back for her final year at Iowa to complete her final accomplishment, a national championship.