Prohibition of anti-trans ban sparks debate over equality in athletics

Sarah Abdullah
The debate over transgender athletes participation has been taken to the Supreme Court. In West Virginia, for the first time the anti-trans ban was overridden, allowing the 12 year old to run with her middle school team.

As the rate of young people identifying as trangender increases, the politics surrounding athletics are becoming more intense. The polarization of views regarding trans-athletes continues to strike the country’s courts in a debate for equality.

Throughout history females have faced a lack of equal playing fields, making it harder for them to succeed. With the efforts of several leaders, women have progressively evolved into the powerful force they’ve become. Taking back legislation regarding this progress would be an injustice to all females.

Growing up, American culture normalizes the participation in some variety of extracurriculars. Many partake in sports, trying to find their passion as they grow up. Though American culture values this as an aspect of childhood, this opportunity has been stripped of many young athletes. 

Recently, the Supreme Court denied West Virginia’s request to enact a state law that prohibits all transgender women and girls from playing in public sports with their gender. Twelve-year-old Becky Pepper-Jackson has been competing on her middle school track and cross country teams due to a lower court’s ruling earlier this year. However, with West Virginia’s proposed ban, Jackson would no longer be able to participate with these teams.

After three to four seasons on her middle school athletic team, Jackson wanted to continue her participation. Due to the Supreme Court’s ruling, Jackson will be allowed to run with her team again. In the United States, there are 21 states with state laws that ban transgender girls from participating in sports with their gender identity. 

This victory for Jackson has sparked the Biden administration to propose a rule change, which will allow transgender students to participate in sports and prohibit the enactment of across-the-board-bans for students. Changing this rule would allow transgender students to participate with their classmates, but restrict them from competing at certain competitions by discretion. 

Senior Halle Vice, a basketball and volleyball athlete, said, “I don’t believe transgender students should be able to compete or play in sports. Title IX was made so girls would have a chance to have a fair competition and not compete against biological males. By allowing this, it diminishes the importance of Title IX.”

Allowing transgender girls to compete in girls sports makes many athletes uncomfortable and discouraged. This issue has striked the country and various states have taken individual stances on this rule.

In the state of Iowa, as of March 2022, governor Kim Reynolds enacted a ban for transgender girls to participate in high school girls sports. Iowa was the 11th state in the country to join this law. 

“No amount of talent, training or effort can make up for the natural physical advantages males have over females. It’s simply a reality of human biology. Forcing females to compete against males is the opposite of inclusivity, and it’s absolutely unfair,” Reynolds said. 

As an advocate for the “impressive legacy of advancing women’s equality,” Reynolds said that when women are given an equal playing field to compete, great things happen.

“I would not feel comfortable competing against a transgender girl because science backs up that males have a clear advantage over girls. It wouldn’t be fair and it takes away all the credit from girls and the work they put in,” Vice said.

Pleasant Valley athletic director, D’Anne Kroemer said, “Our school must follow the state law, there is not a way around that. However, based on a student’s interest level in athletics, we would work to find a way to include them. It’s important to find ways for them to participate and compete at the highest level allowed if they want.”

As the debate continues, athletes are at the forefront of the concerns regarding transgender athlete’s eligibility. After years of inequality, the most important aspect is keeping an equal playing field. Women in sports deserve the chance to succeed and without upholding the nation’s preceding legislation, this will not be accomplished.