Inclusivity and innovation to reach excellence in the Pleasant Valley community

The+Pleasant+Valley+Sparkles%2C+one+of+their+very+special+programs%2C+giving+the+opportunity+to+cheer+under+the+Friday+night+lights.+
Veronica Cox
The Pleasant Valley Sparkles, one of their very special programs, giving the opportunity to cheer under the Friday night lights.

The PV school district takes pride in its motto, “Not for students, but for all students.” To promote equal opportunity, the PV district strives to offer many different opportunities for each student — with special education students being no exception.

Students who receive special education are paired with many teachers that want to improve students’ skills and prepare them for the lives they will lead outside of high school, unlike other schools. Programs include Special Olympics, PV Spotlighters and Sparkles, which are all inclusive and help students enjoy activities they are interested in.

PV strives to employ teachers that genuinely care for their students and have their best interests at heart. “We provide all different levels in our school district. We are able to adapt to all different types of disabilities and have wonderful teachers in the Special Education program that want what is best for the students,” stated Special Education teacher Ellen Jacobs.

These opportunities have instilled new skills in the students involved in them. Special Olympics is an athletic program, allowing for those who enjoy sports to participate. The PV Sparkles, established many years ago by a prior Spartan cheerleader, allows students to show school spirit at school-wide events such as football games and assemblies.

Most of these programs have been continued for many years, except for the program established this year, PV Spotlighters. Current PV junior Mallory Carslake started this program after noticing a need for it at PV. “I have a cousin with special needs and as I watched her grow up, I realized how little she could actually do and not because of her disability,” Carslake said. “Theater has become such a safe space for these kids and it is truly inspiring to watch them blossom and grow in confidence and friends as this process continues.”

Pleasant Valley is a place to feel welcomed and loved, and know that no matter what, you have the power to pursue your interests. At PV, equal opportunities for all and watching the students succeed is the true reward.

“I think it would be great to see more schools have outside programs such as what we have here” Jacob states.

Whether it is a professional who is educated to help special education students, or a student sharing their passion to make the community a better place, PV wants to share these ideas with other schools. The program continues to grow each year because of the inclusivity and innovation they show in their schools’ Special Education program.