Shea replaces Tucker as counselor at PVHS

Lifetouch Photography
Nicole Shea, who will be taking over Valerie Tucker’s position as counselor starting the 2023-24 school year.

This year, a new counselor was hired at Pleasant Valley to replace counselor Valerie Tucker. Tucker was responsible for a wide array of duties, including being the head counselor of students with last names A-C, all of which will be taken over by her successor, Nicole Shea. 

Shea is excited to work at PV. “I love how it feels kind of like my high school where I grew up and I love being able to give back to what was given to me by my counselors in high school,” said Shea.

Shea has worked hard to reach this stage in her career. She received her undergraduate degree in psychology at the University of Urbana Champaign before earning her masters in teaching at the University of DePaul. She then taught for 9 years at North Scott before getting her counseling license at Western Illinois University. 

PVHS Associate Principal Adam Pagett had a role in hiring Shea and is excited to have her. “I think Mrs. Shea is a great addition to PV. I think she adds a lot of promise coming from North Scott and I’m glad she’s here,” said Pagett. 

Because of the work it took for her to get where she is today, she gives advice to students who are interested in becoming counselors one day. “The counselor program is a long program, it’s 60 credit hours. So it takes four more years to get through, but I say keep pushing through it. If you put forth the effort and hard work you’ll be happy you did it,” Shea remarked. 

Now, Shea is ready to make a real change at PV.  If students are ever facing challenges involving mental health, she wants them to know that the counselors are there for them. “Don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are people who want to help you. It’s okay to not be okay, it’s okay to have boundaries. Most importantly, ask for help, no matter whom it’s from,” said Shea. 

Though Tucker’s departure was unfortunate for many students and educators, PV is in good hands in the coming years through the guidance of counselor Nicole Shea.