‘It feels like I’m home’ – Iowa Teacher of the Year returns to the classroom

Sara Russell
Iowa Teacher of the Year, Sara Russell, poses in the White House

From the halls of Pleasant Valley to our nation’s capitol, social studies teacher Sara Russell has been on quite a journey in the last year. She’s happy to be home and starting her 19th year as a Spartan and 22nd year leading the classroom.

“I’m back home where I need to be, so I’m very excited for this year,” said Russell.

Russell won the Iowa Teacher of the Year award in November of 2021 and spent the following school year carrying out the duties of her new position. “I traveled 13,000 miles across the state and I spoke to roughly around 7,000 people over the course of the year,” recapped Russell.

She visited nearly every college and university that certifies teachers in Iowa to speak to educators and students studying to become teachers. In doing so, Russell has gone from impacting those in her classroom to impacting the next generation of Iowa educators.

Russell hopes to bring some of their sense of excitement for learning back into the classroom with her. “To see that excitement was such a good reminder to me that we still have so many young people who want to go into teaching,” said Russell.

While there was a lot of new learning, her duties also involved teaching others what it means to be a teacher in today’s world. “We hear so much negative press around teaching and education right now and I would just still say that it’s a great life to have,” Russell noted.

Known for teaching AP Human Geography at PV, Russell loves seeing how much the program has grown over the years. She credits the course with providing real-world, relevant information.

Students, like former AP Human Geography student Katelyn Morris, agree, but also credit the growth to Russell as a leader. “Mrs. Russell is actually really good at building relationships,” said Morris. “She gives positive feedback and constructive criticism. She is able to reach out to more than just the talkative people. I think that’s what made her such a likable and well respected teacher.”

This year, Russell is splitting AP Human Geography duties with Brent Keemle. Keemle covered the course last year during Russell’s time away. “I think the class is going to be even stronger because we’re both involved with it.”