The Fountains Celebrate their 17th Annual Hoedown!

Justin Clemons
The location of The Fountains Hoedown Throwdown event.

Food, games and fun: this annual Fountain’s Hoedown Throwdown attracted a lot of attention from residents in the area. 

The Fountains is a retirement community located in Bettendorf near Hopewell Elementary. They provide housing and basic medical services for the elderly. They have activities for the seniors to indulge in everyday. These activities include: yoga, game night and other fun events. 

The Hoedown is a yearly celebration of the anniversary of The Fountains. Fountains residents travel to the main pavilion where they play games with their family and eat food. Thanks to the inviting staff, around 350 friends and family attended the Hoedown celebration. “We like to have our residents, their families as well as our employees and families have a fun afternoon together,” said Leah Luna, the head coordinator of the event. 

Hundreds of people attended the event this year, including Sharon Brooks, a resident of The Fountains. “I loved seeing all the different activities and how people were enjoying them”. She and her husband took their grandchildren to the Hoedown Throwdown, where they won all sorts of prizes including two cakes at the cakewalk. 

At the carnival, there were many games and activities for the attendees to enjoy. “This is a country-themed event with some good old-fashioned fun like potato sack races, a duck pond, bounce houses and a petting zoo,” Luna said. On top of those activities, there was a cakewalk, ring toss, slides, and line dancing. But, the highlight of the event, according to Brooks, was the food. Everything from snow cones to popcorn was served. Inside the main building, there was a buffet with barbeque and some vegetarian options.

The event is available to all members of The Fountains. However, it does not limit others from attending. Friends and family are encouraged to attend the Hoedown Throwdown. Some attendees were first time residents who eagerly await next year’s Hoedown event. “I think they missed out if they didn’t come” stated Brooks. Everyone is allowed to attend the exciting activities the Fountain’s Annual Hoedown has to offer coming next September!