Top 10 fall activities to do with your friends in the QC

Sophia+Foad%2C+Lexi+Minard+and+Maddie+Millage+pose+in+front+of+a+pumpkin+sign+at+Wallace%E2%80%99s+Garden+Center.+
Sophia Foad
Sophia Foad, Lexi Minard and Maddie Millage pose in front of a pumpkin sign at Wallace’s Garden Center.

1. Pick apples

Visit an apple orchard with some friends! It’s the perfect opportunity to take some beautiful fall photos in front of the trees and take home some apples for homemade apple desserts or cider. Stone Apple Barn in East Moline is just a short drive away and is definitely worth the trip.

Junior Sophia Foad posing in front of apple trees at an apple orchard. (Sophia Foad)

2. Visit a pumpkin patch

Head over to Shady Knoll Farm to grab pumpkins, flowers, and pictures with your loved ones. It’s a super inexpensive way to have some fall fun and segways into more fun afterwards. Choose from a variety of shapes, sizes and colors to carve or paint. Also, be sure to hand pick a bouquet of flowers from the garden before you leave as an extra souvenir.

Senior Gracie Collins with her friends at Shady Knoll pumpkin patch. (Gracie Collins)

3. Follow fall recipes

Fall recipes have been going viral on all social media platforms this fall. If something catches your eye, try it! Pumpkin spice, chai and apple treats are the perfect way to start a fall morning, or to supplement a meal in the evening. You can even create your own recipes and share them for friends and family to try. 

Delicious homemade pumpkin cake baked by a PV student.

4. Watch football

Check out the Iowa Hawkeyes schedule at Kinnick Stadium for a fun weekend outing with your friends! If you’re looking to stay in, grab some game day snacks and get cozy on the couch to watch your favorite teams play.

Seniors Tate Lyon, David Gorsline, Tyge Lyon, Ty Gardner and Jake Perkins sit on the sideline at Kinnick Stadium. (Mo Gorsline)

5. Do some fall shopping

Target and likewise stores have just come out with new fall decorations. Decorate with wide selections of blankets and pillows, and don’t forget to grab a fall scented candle to burn while doing homework or while having a cozy night in.

A cozy fall bedroom of a PV student.

6. Try Starbucks’ fall flavors

Check out the new fall flavors from Starbucks! There are two new additions to the fall menu this year, as well as the returning fan favorite: pumpkin spice latte. Grab a before school for some energy, or after school for a warm pick me up on a chilly day. 

Senior Gracie Collins poses with her fall Starbucks drink. (Gracie Collins)

7. Walk a corn maze

Be sure to bring your friends and family to a corn maze this fall! You can find corn mazes at almost any local pumpkin patch where you can take instagram pictures or go for a leisurely walk. For a more thrilling option, try out a haunted corn maze! 

Senior Hannah McVey poses with corn found in a corn maze. (Hannah McVey)

8. Embrace the fall leaves

Take in the fall air during a peaceful walk, jog or bike ride. Studies show that spending just 20 minutes outside each day can dramatically increase physical well-being and decrease stress and anxieties. With the school year starting back up, be sure to take care of yourself strolling through the colorful trees at a local trail. 

Junior Sophia Foad takes a bike ride with her cross country friends on a cool evening. (Sophia Foad)

9. Have a spooky movie night 

After a long day, allow your body to relax with a fall movie night. Remember, not all fall movies are scary. There is a wide variety of movies and shows to fit your preferences if spooky movies aren’t quite your speed.

A fun movie night watching Disney’s Hocus Pocus.

10. Do some grocery shopping

Grocery stores are fully stocked on all things autumn. For a local errand run, stop by Hyvee or Target to grab some ingredients for fall baking or for drinks and treats. For a bit of a longer trip, make your way to Trader Joes where the shelves are overflowing with anything and everything fall.

Josie Case drinking the newly released “Witches Brew” Alani Energy Drink from Hyvee. (Josie Case)