Pleasant Valley Seniors: staying informed to make an impact on the political world

The class of 2024 is turning 18, introducing them into the voting and the political world. Photo Credit to: Pexels.com

Presidents, democracy, legal systems and elections. What do all of these things have in common? They require voting. The Pleasant Valley class of 2024 is turning 18, and with this milestone comes the responsibility to vote and make political decisions. This marks their initial exposure to voting, or even to making political decisions.

Voting allows citizens to make political decisions towards the ideals, interests and rights they support and confide in. It allows them to vote for the political leaders they support, from Senators to the U.S. President. With these powers comes the responsibility of being politically informed. This brings sentiments of apprehension and enthusiasm towards their introductions to making political decisions.

With the upcoming election, some students in Pleasant Valley show apprehension but are eager to vote in the upcoming election. Senior Spencer Johnson exhibited insight on the upcoming election. “There are limited candidates in this upcoming election, and you often only hear the bad things about them, but as long as you know your stuff and stay informed, this should be a good election.”

Staying informed in society’s ever-changing political landscape is essential to making your vote count. Understanding both good and bad views of every political view not only makes you an informed voter but educates the community on their ability to express their political ideals and critically think.

On the other hand, lots of students show concern about their abilities to vote, but want to stay informed to ensure a good election. Katelyn Morris showed her thoughts and apprehensions. “I’m concerned about how informed and inexperienced the younger generation is, which includes myself.”

The apprehension shown by these students and the community is common. For example, Presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy wants to raise the voting age to 25. The sentiment that the voting age should be raised are tied to reasons such as, experiences in civic duties, political knowledge, and maturity.

Staying informed and understanding the political world is important now more than ever. As the students of the Pleasant Valley class of 2024 turn 18, the right and ability to vote comes with the responsibility to stay educated, and understand the changing political world.