Thrifting: the environmental and social advantages

Alex Blunk
Senior Alex Blunk shops for second hand clothing at his local thrift store.

From a pair of low-waisted jeans for 3 bucks or a perfect statement piece for just a couple of quarters, thrifting has become commonplace throughout the nation. Cheap, yet sustainable, it has received attention on social media platforms, and for good reason. 

Approximately, 16-18% of Americans tend to buy second-hand items from stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Of that percentage, more than 62% of Gen Z claim to thrift. Senior Rese Bailey spends a lot of his free time curating a perfect wardrobe at second-hand stores. “There is always something unique that you can find in these stores. I love finding the perfect staple piece for my outfits,” he explained. 

Despite the popularity, buying second-hand clothing continues to be a controversial issue. 

One of the concerns of thrifting scrutinizes some stores is raising the prices of products, making cheaper essentials less accessible for those actually in need. However, buying second-hand clothing, in some regards, helps alleviate poverty. 

Additionally, these advantages are not limited to the United States. Foreign exchange student and senior Sofie Mousing Hansen has first-hand witnessed the value of the activity. “In Ballerup-my hometown in Denmark-chain stores dispersed across the area. The profit predominantly goes to charities for people in need”, she said. 

The benefits of thrifting tend to trivialize any smaller effects of the act. Correspondingly, an increase in buying from second-hand stores consequently reduces waste in landfills and clothing being incinerated.

As the life cycle of a piece of clothing increases, the demand for newer products diminishes. Ergo, the production cost and resources also decrease. The growing environmental movement fueled the recent soar of thrifting, as discount stores prove to be an eco-friendly alternative to fast fashion. 

With their cheap prices and high volumes of products, fast fashion brands parallel the popularity of thrifting. The clothing seems satisfactory, however, this industry is responsible for 10% of global carbon emissions and is the second-largest consumer of water. 

Manufacturing of fast fashion harms both the environment and the workers. Almost 80% of the clothing is made by young women in poor environments. The substantial profit made from fast fashion generates rapid production. However these sales supersede worker welfare and conditions. 

Senior Owen Chiles compared thrifting to fashion fashion, and how they both influence the other. “Thrifting is better for people and the environment, especially compared to sites like Shein. I’ve seen so many clothes with a Shein tag on them in thrift stores lately, because people just throw them out when the fashion trend is outdated, ” Chiles stated. 

Thrifting is not a trend; it redefines consumerism and promotes environmental change, whilst being sustainable and affordable. Second-hand products signify that value does not necessarily require a high price tag.