Spartan alumni thank Pleasant Valley for their success

Lydia Sommer
PV alum Lydia Sommer runs in a cross country meet at Northwestern University.

The mental and physical load of a student athlete is heavy. Balancing school, sports and life requires more time and discipline than what the average high school student has, and even more than that of a college student. 

Pleasant Valley has a reputation for sending their athletes onto playing sports at a higher level. Former PV athletes are thriving in college athletics and affirm that PV teachers and coaches readily prepare their students for what comes after high school. 

Approximateley 15% of collegiate athletes with scholarships end up quitting their sport, and even more quit without scholarships. The physical and mental demand of sports is extremely high and without any preparation in high school, college athletics are unattainable.

Being a good student while also performing well in a sport is not an easy thing to do without a good support system. 

PV coaching staff understands what needs to be done for their athletes to develop in a manner which will brace them for college sports. “As a runner in general, I have experienced many highs and lows through my career that can reassure the athletes that it is just a normal part of the process. I went through a transition personally from highschool to college, and then again at the end of college, so I can relate to the kids,” remarked PV girls cross country coach Jane Wheeler.

PV holds high expectations on their student athletes. They must be prepared for tough practices, intense training, school work and finding time to rest. Balance is crucial to juggling life, but it takes years of practice and mentorship to find a rhythm in it all. 

A day in the life of a PV athlete is lively. “I come home from school, go straight to practice, open gym and then I have to get all my homework done just to get up the next morning and go to early lifting,” said varsity football and basketball player David Gorsline. PV athletes are given high expectations and a lot on their plates, but, it’s all in the name of preparation.

Daily life for a college athlete looks a little bit different.

Spartan alum Lydia Sommer, who now attends Northwestern University, runs cross country while simultaneously going to class at one of the most prestigious colleges in the nation. Her day consists of morning training, class, lunch, more classes, homework, practice, time with friends and additional homework before she heads to bed at 10 P.M. 

Sommer has to fit a lot into her schedule far more than what she did in high school however, she is doing it with poise.  

Her years at Pleasant Valley High School prepared her for this busy and stressful life more than she ever could have acknowledged at the time. “My mentors at PV taught me that I need to value, trust and have confidence in myself no matter what. I often find myself reflecting on the words or guidance they gave me,” stated Sommer. 

While Sommer is juggling a lot, academically and athletically, in her new environment, she has been practicing this magnitude of diligence since she was a freshman in high school. “Time, precision and thoughtfulness are of the utmost importance in order to succeed in athletics at Northwestern,” Sommer remarks: three things she learned from her roots back in Bettendorf, Iowa.