Oversensitized remake of Snow White pushes misleading messages to young girls

+Young+Ayah+Alsheikha+dressed+as+beloved+disney+princess+Snow+White+for+Halloween.+%0A
Ayah Alsheikha
Young Ayah Alsheikha dressed as beloved disney princess Snow White for Halloween.

Walt Disney’s “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves” continues to be a timeless and nostalgic masterpiece throughout generations. Despite its evident flaws, it is an emblem of love and magic that inspires young girls around the world. 

As Disney began to adapt these classic films into live-action movies, fans had mixed reactions. 

Specifically, the upcoming remake of Snow White sparked controversy among fans. Rachel Zegler, known for her lead role in the new Hunger Games prequel, is set to play Snow White. However, her comments have enraged those who adore the original Disney movie. 

Unlike the dispute regarding changing the race of characters, like casting Halle Berry as Little Mermaid, the debate surrounding ‘Snow White’ is predominantly due to Zegler’s attitude towards the film and the changes being made to the plot. 

In a recent interview, Zegler criticized the original while highlighting the ‘modern edge’ of the remake. “[Snow White] is not gonna be saved by the prince and she’s not going to be dreaming about true love. She’s dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be,” Zegler stated. 

But not all young girls have dreams of becoming a leader. Many dream of both success and love. The Snow White remake claims women should not focus on having the latter. It is essential for women to have this choice in their life. Love should not be stigmatized as a weakness and young girls should not be taught they should only aspire to be a leader. 

“Women, like everyone else, have diverse dreams. By changing the original story we are teaching children, especially girls, that they can’t have other ambitions,” Junior Sophia Foad explained.

It is important to acknowledge that female leadership positions are vital to society, but not all women prioritize this. 

Jane Austen was one of the most influential women of the earliest 19th century and she was a romance writer. Her depictions of women’s emotional journeys and nuanced opinions on love were revolutionary. Austen portrayed love as a sentiment that involved a man but still revolved around the woman’s passions. 

True love is far from a vulnerability. It is an emotion that reflects human experience and helps empower oneself and others. By embracing love stories as meaningful, younger audiences will grow up with a positive outlook on love and view it as a strength. 

As a toddler, Junior Grace Boelyn loved Snow White. She was even inspired to dress up as the character for many Halloweens. “Despite the needed changes like the age difference between the Prince and Snow, the original movie is a staple to cinema. If there is no love story or the plot isn’t following the original, why not just make a new movie?” she questioned.

It is important to exhibit the diverse passions of women on screen. Even though there has been a growing awareness of this need, many movies and television shows fall short. They often spread the same message repeatedly, without any difference in the dreams or goals illustrated.   

Foad conveyed, “In the world of cinema, a woman lives in black or white.” From one view, they can be the stereotypical housewife portrayed negatively. In contrast, they are expected to become leaders, leaving no depictions of alternate aspirations. 

Although it is necessary to meet new cultural expectations, oversensitized media does not fulfill what is needed.