Top four resources at the Bettendorf Public Library

Laura Chen
The Library of Things is just one of the many supplies available for checkout to library patrons.

While most students frequented the Bettendorf Public Library as kids, not as many teens and adults take full advantage of the library’s various resources. Aside from books and DVDs, which are all fine free, the library’s opportunities are found off the shelves as well. Here are a few of the unknown perks and materials the library has to offer.

1. The Creation Studio

The Creation Studio, located on the second floor, houses all the crafting and creation supplies the library has to offer. The studio typically hosts open work time three to four days a week, and those hours can be checked on the library’s website. The majority of the resources are free and provide great crafts and entertainment for kids. In addition, the Creation Studio houses button makers, a vinyl heat press, a Cricut, a Silhouette Cameo, Brother cs6000i Sewing Machines, multiple 3D printers and an Epilog Fusion Edge 24 Laser Engraver. While materials must be purchased, the use of these machines is completely free. Patrons design and make their own t-shirts using the heat press and can engrave endlessly complicated designs into wood and other materials using the laser engraver.

2. Library of Things

Aptly named, the Library of Things, located behind and to the left of the information desk, contains a host of “things” for patrons to check out. From knitting tools, memory kits, and cake decorating supplies to hiking sticks and pickleball paddles, the range of items is vast. Like books, these materials can be checked out for two weeks at a time and are fine-free.

3. Libby

While certainly more well known, the Bettendorf Public Library’s online reading platform, Libby, is still underutilized. Libby can be used as a web page or an app and includes thousands of eBooks and audiobooks that can be accessed through any device. The eBooks are also compatible with Kindle. Library cardholders can gain access to books through the local RiverShare Public Libraries and RiverShare Academic Libraries as well as the all-Iowa Bridges library system. 

4. Kanopy

Kanopy is the library’s streaming service committed to providing thoughtful entertainment. Anyone with a library card can download the app and sign in to receive 10 watch credits per month. Kanopy allows access to thousands of movies, documentaries and TV shows. Partnering with studios including A24, The Criterion Collection and PBS, they have an endless number of Hollywood classics and critically acclaimed cinema for every audience. Some popular modern titles include Midsommar, Spencer, Lady Bird, Her, Aftersun and The Big Short.

Bonus:

The library houses 16 mobile hotspots available for checkout. Committed to providing resources for the whole community, the library offers these free devices to supply internet access no matter where someone is.