Nutella can cause cancer?

Nutella, a popular hazelnut chocolate spread, might be very dangerous. The European Standards agency found that palm oil, one of its main ingredients, can release harmful chemicals if heated above 200° C or 393­­­° F. The chemical, glycidyl fatty acid ester, is a carcinogenic chemical. Ferrero, the company that makes Nutella, released a statement, which stated, ”The palm oil used by Ferrero is safe because it comes from freshly squeezed fruits and is processed at controlled temperatures.” They also claimed that that the process never goes above 200° C. In response, Josh Docherty, senior, said, “I will avoid eating Nutella from now on because of the possibility of cancer causing chemicals.”

Many have asked why the company doesn’t replace palm oil with some other substitute. Ferrero responded, “Making Nutella without palm oil would produce an inferior substitute for the real product. It would be a step backwards.” Another problem is palm oil is what gives Nutella its smooth texture. It is also a cheaper alternative to other oils. Substituting it for another oil could bring prices up to around $22, compared to its current price of $5-$10, depending on where it is purchased. Nutella makes up one-fifth of the Italian-based company’s total sales worldwide, and because of the recent discoveries about Nutella, many stores are boycotting it. The biggest boycott is happening in Italy. Many are participating, including Coop, the country’s largest supermarket chain. Losing more sales could cause major problems in the company’s finances.

The European Food Safety Authority, World Health Organization, and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization all warned about the dangers of Nutella and palm oil, but they did not directly state that it should not be consumed. All of these organizations are planning to do more research on the product.