Competitive PVHS students set their sights on finance careers

Nathan Musal, Kyle Almgren and Achinteya Jayaram participated in the 2023 Iowa Economics Challenge. Photo credit to Rita Brown

At PVHS, a large number of students are considering a future in business, which offers a variety of professions and opportunities. However, a select subset of students have their sights on the world of finance.

Finance is about managing money, which is crucial for the sustenance and growth of individuals, corporations and governments. It encompasses a broad range of activities from budgeting and investing to lending and predicting. Experts in finance analyze market trends, craft investment strategies and ensure legal compliance.

Career paths in finance vary widely. A number of PV students have their eyes set on investment banking, where professionals design capital raising initiatives. Some of these students plan to start in investment banking and transition to hedge fund management, where professionals strategize on asset growth. 

Others may choose consulting, which concerns the use of  financial expertise to advise companies and individuals on how to best manage their finances. Each career demands a unique blend of analytical skills and market understanding.

Senior Nathan Musal plans to take a job out of college in investment banking. Musal is highly competitive in his pursuit of a career in finance and is heavily involved in finance-related extracurriculars. He has spent extensive time researching finance, is the president of PV’s Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) chapter and Finance Club and took an internship last summer at Bettendorf Financial Group, a wealth management company.

Musal believes networking is extremely important for pursuing a career in finance. “Networking is a huge, huge deal in finance. A lot of it is about who you know, so using clubs and extracurricular opportunities in college is what allows you to land jobs in finance,” said Musal.

Currently, Musal is applying to 20 universities, all of which are investment banking target schools: universities that investment banks recruit from to fill their analyst positions. 

Musal’s degree of competitiveness sheds light on his dedication to finance. He believes anyone wanting a career in finance needs to have a strong interest in the topic. “If you’re trying to get into finance, you need to have a passion for it. You need to love investing and understand what makes markets work,” advised Musal.

Senior Kyle Almgren is also interested in finance but wants to take a job in consulting after college. Almgren also participates in the Finance club and has been managing his own investment portfolio for the past few months. He plans to major in finance in college and join a consulting firm after attending university.

Almgren believes an important part of pursuing a career in finance is starting early. “It’s really important to start learning financial concepts and researching markets early. Finance is a very competitive field, so the sooner you start immersing yourself in finance and making connections, the easier it will be to get where you want to be,” said Almgren

There are many ways to get involved in finance. At PVHS, joining FBLA and the Finance Club are great ways to gain experience. FBLA is a great option for those who want to gain general knowledge about business and various business concepts. The Finance Club is a great way to gain experience, as the club participates in the Wharton Global High School Investment Competition, where students manage a client’s hypothetical portfolio. 

There are also countless finance resources available online, such as Investopedia and the Wall Street Oasis. Additionally, creating investment accounts and managing one’s own money is a great way to gain experience with wealth management.

With their competitive dedication to finance, PVHS students are laying the groundwork for successful finance careers. Their initiative and foresight, paired with the school’s supportive environment, pave the way for these young aspirants to become tomorrow’s financial leaders.